Best lab for slide scanning

http://www.saugus.net/Photos/scanning.shtml

I must tell you, this is my slide scanning service. I offer pricing for both post-scan enhanced and no-edits

versions of the scans.

When comparing slide scan prices on the Internet, be aware that some services send the work out of the country

and some don't do individual enhancements in PhotoShop CS3. Some leave it up to the automatic features of "Ice"

like ROC (restoration of color) and DEE (shadow enhancement). The results of ROC and DEE can be unpredictable.

Yes, some send the work out of the country. Which means what? There's an assumption I suppose that this is less

safe, but with the right logistical system (which ScanCafe certainly has), it can be much safer than an entirely

domestic system. At least ScanCafe generates the original shipping label so they can control the process.

Shipping from their California office back and forth to Bangalore is entirely under their control.

The downside of ScanCafe is that it takes a couple of months to get the work back.

My experience with them is very positive. I wrote about it here:

http://basepath.com/index-real.php?url=blogentry/2008-02-15.htm

I'd also never ship anywhere that number of originals. If broken down into smaller batches, and one gets lost, not all is lost. Ive had original negatives lost right in the US. Once a job shooting the graduating class of a large HS, sent a box with all the rolls. Sent it registered mail to Phlly, it got lost. They accepted liability only for the original film.

Never again sent more than a few rolls in a package. The further it goes, the more handling by USPS or other agencies, and the greater the chances of loss. It may be only 1 in 10,000 but I don't want to be that one.