Recently I had my camera equipment stolen and I am trying to slowly

replace it all, but I decided to go a different direction. I had a

F100, which I thought was a great camera, maybe too great for me. I

was never really sure if the good results I was getting were because

of me or the results of all the bells and whistles on the F100. So

this time I am starting at the opposite end of the spectrum. I

ordered the FM3a, now I will set the settings and I will do the

focusing, not the camera. I believe this will help me develop my

skills better than having a camera do it for me.

That is more information that I probably needed to share. Let me

get to my question. I would really appreciate some advise on Flash

systems for the Fm3a. I concetrate mainly on outdoor, nature and

landscape photography, but occasionally I'm asked to do a head shot

for a buddy. With the F100 I used the SB28 and this seemed to work

fairly well. What are your recommendations ?

Scott Sirkel

Your FM3a is designed for use with Nikon or other brands' flash units in plain TTL, auto or manual modes. For TTL flash, the easiest of those three modes, you want a Nikon Speedlight or a third-party flash like Sunpack or Metz that knows how to "speak Nikon" in the sense of dedicated electronics.

Ellis' recommendation of the SB-28 or SB-28DX is a fine choice -- I use an SB-28 with my N90s and FM3a. If you still have your SB-28, use it (and skip the rest of this post).

If you don't still have the SB-28, you might do just as well with a less feature-studded speedlight. The SB-28 has many features you cannot use on your FM3a, including the option of matrix, 3D matrix and multisensor flash control on other Nikon bodies like your former camera. It can automatically zoom its flash head to match AF lenses up to 85mm on some bodies. It offers wonderfully easy, one-press flash exposure compensation on some bodies. And so on and so forth. You can't take advantage of those functions using your FM3a.

In those senses the SB-28 is overkill for your FM3a. Older Nikon flash units that are TTL capable (you have about two decades' worth of models to choose from) can handle all the dance steps your FM3a knows: TTL, auto and of course manual. If you are buying a used unit, you have scads of choices.

Some things to consider: Nikon and other brands have some models with fairly low power, and then a bunch that pack a considerable wallop like the SB-22, -24, -25, -26, -28, -80. Compact and low-powered units like the SB-23 would be a great fit for you FM3a but won't reach as far as the big units, won't adjust for tilt or bounce, and sit closer to the lens centerline so they don't give you as much redeye protection.

Some use easy-to-find AA batteries and others use CR123 or other lithium cells (the latter will prove much more expensive over time if you use flash a lot).

Some new models (and the lovely SB-26) have wireless, optical slave flash function built-in. That's handy when using multiple flashes. You can also get this capability with most speedlights if you buy Nikon's SU-4 slave control unit or a third-party critter such as Ikelite. For comparatively serious money you could also go wireless in radio frequencies, which reduces the hassle of having all your flashes go off whenever someone nearby fires HIS flash. For your stated photo needs, this is probably a minor consideration right now.

If you want to use the flash in fully manual mode rather than TTL, some models offer more control over flash output (more steps between full power and low power) in manual mode than others.

Consider the widest angle lens a given speedlight covers... make sure it can illuminate the scenes you're trying to capture with your lenses.

If you use flash with camera bodies from manufacturers other than Nikon, you might find a Metz unit particularly cost-effective since you can have one flash and then apply it to various different cameras using appropriate adapter modules.

Hope those are helpful suggestions. Have fun, the FM3a is a gem.

• 1 month later...

Jim,

What an excellent piece of advice here! Recently, am converting to Nikon system and coincidentally FM3A. I know nothing about Nikon but only thinking of getting a modern mechanical body. I was confused to decide which flash unit is the best. So I guess, I am lucky to have pass by this thread.

Thanks!