serve as a cane. I am tall (76 inches) and heavy (260 pounds). It

should be able to support me, and not weigh too much. All of the

monopods I have seen have a vertical grip that makes them more of

staff than a cane; that provides for stability but doesn't help much

in relieving weight on my feet. As an aside, I do have a Bogan

tripod which is very effective but weighs a ton. My cameras are

mostly 35mm. The heaviest camera I would probably use with the

monopod is the Nikon D70.

Leki makes a Wanderfreund with a removable by unscrewing same, cane style, top that has a tripod screw underneath. It is not the perfect combination for photography, but as a support it is worth checking out. About sixty dollars. Leki has almost something for every person that hikes. This one is rather a cane with a comfortable handle that can- in a pinch- be a fair to middling monopod. (I have one but have not field tested it yet and can't enthuse over it therefore).

It is an ergonomic problem -- the better mobility useful designs aren't mated with a camera mount, and vice-versa.

most of these "staff-stick" style (the jaunty walking stick style monopod) can be converted somewhat with a more comfortable head (a large ball, a crook shape) by finding an appropriate handle you need and inserting the 1/4 inch female threads in the base, if you have a drill and a hardware store accesible.

Alternatively, you could drill a hole (1/4 inch) and place a 1/4 bolt through your existing arm crook. A small ballhead could be attached, and then head and bolt removed, when not needed.

All the monopods or walking sticks I know of are as you describe; the variations on what you put on top could be numerous. A small ball head could be in the 90 degree (horizontal) position and normally have a small wooden ball or handle -- removed for camera mounting. Handle grip tripod heads also exist, but I do not know if your hands can grip and handle one (you must squeeze to change its position), but it could supply a handle in a horizontal position. On the other hand, it is maybe easier than small little knobs on small ballheads. Bogen and Slik make one -- for instance -- (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=140. Envision it horizontal for walking. (they are big). You might search the rest of that site for other heads, and consider them as handles.

If you are interested and just want to try one, and have no big photo store near you, e-mail me and I might be able to find mine and send you. I am very sympathetic with the question, and I rather suspect a custom adaptation is better than a force fit off-the-shelf. But, I have not researched the physical assist stocks.

All monopods need a bit more bracing than a simple tripod -- some is technique, but some have the assist tiny legs on the bottom. Short of that, leaning in with your legs supplying two of the three "tripod" legs, some pressure against the front monopod leg, may be as sturdy as you can get.

James,

does your device have 4 prongs for legs/feet at the bottom? If yes, its likely a good deal more stable than any cane could be, for your purpose, and the idea above, of drilling a 1/4" hole to attach a small ballhead is a good one. For most pictures upto a few seconds the device will be as steady as a tripod, especially with your weight bearing down on it.

If the device you use simply ends in a single foot, like any walking stick, I daresay you will will find the combo walking stick/monopods to be less than satisfactory, as they will not have the forearm cuff support.

Happy snaps!

visit reallyrightstuff.com

they use a gitzo monopod not the thin legs but the nice thick ones. some pple also used manfrotto like Thom Hogan maybe that was the old version of RRS?? on top they put a bogen landscape/portrait 2 way head and a RRS quick release system on top...