best choice for second lens.....?

rdavis

<p>OK.. I currently have a canon 40D and tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens. I have saved up for canon 70-200 L f4 IS, but am now wonder if I would rather have a WIDER angle lens instead of tele. Budget right now is for one more lens. I only shoot for a hobby and do some landscape shots, but mostly everyday stuff that could include things like I see on the street or just lying around. Any thoughts on what has worked for you in this situation would be appreciated. I don't do MUCH indoor and if I do I can make 28mm work. If I did go wide I am looking at Tokina 12-24 . Thanks.......?</p>

<p>Are you getting an L series lens for a reason? I know the 70-200 L f4 lens (which is an awesome lens imho) is one of the cheapest of the L series but you could probably find a non L series telephoto zoom and a wide angle for about the price of the L lens. When your shooting do you find yourself more wishing you had a closer view of a scene or do you find that you wish you could capture more of the scene. I'm usually looking to get closer so that I have less to crop when I'm in post production. I tend to avoid using wide angle lenses as I for some reason always shoot a tad crooked, add that with some perspective distortion and pretty soon it's hard to figure out which way is up.</p>

<p>William, thanks for your thoughts on tele. My thought on 'L' lens is I have traveled to Alaska many times and didn't have the current tools that I have now, and somehow feel that at age 58 my days of photo opportunities are limited to a few more years and I wouldn't want to look back and say 'Why didn't I buy a better lens?" I will pick up the third lens in less than a year (which ever one I don't get now), so it's really a matter of which one is best for this current year? Thanks. Does this make any sense?...........</p>

<p>Ron, no one knows your situation to tell you if a wide angle or tele would be better. FWIW, I have the 12/24 and it is excellent. If you like doing landscape and other wide angle stuff, you won't be disappointed but only you know if you would get more use out of that as opposed to the 70/200.</p>

<p>As you indicated you are mainly shooting outside (and likely in daylight), I really like Tommy Lee's thinking. <br>

<br>

The addition of a light weight, but sturdy, monopod would be a great suggestion to throw out for your next Birthday present.<br>

<br>

I think 1/400s would be considered safe, and you should easily be able to pull that Tv consistently at a suitable ISO and Aperture outdoors in daylight with the 70 to 200 on 40D. <br>

<br>

A monopod likely will give you in the region of 1/200s or even 1/125s.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<blockquote>

<p>the canon 10-22 is supposed to be a really good lens, better than the tokina 12-24, and that 2mm difference on the short end is actually quite substantial.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is a similar one from Sigma, a 10-20, which I consider better, to be honest. I've worked with the Canon one, and found it was not really crisp, and fading quite a bit on the edges. And it's a better price, too.</p>

<p>Can you rent a lens to try it out? Do you have someone among your acquaintances whom you may ask for one? It's cheaper than splurging on something you're not happy with in the end.</p>

<p>Being completely honest I find the purchase of our 70-200 2.8L IS to be the best dang lens we have EVER bought. I would recommend it to pros or amateurs. That said, it just depends on what you want to do. If you want a wide get a wide, if you want a telephoto then get one. :) If you have a 28 though I would consider the telephoto instead. And since you're getting the F4 version consider spending a bit more and getting the IS version of that. It'll really help in low light situations.</p>

<p>If you say you like landscape then 28 mm is not nearly wide enough. I'd start with a wideangle. FWIW, I love my Sigma 10-20.</p>

<p>Now, telephoto. You picked the 70-200/4 IS, which has superb image quality. But be aware it is slow, and it is very expensive as you already know. Have a look at primes like 100/2 or 100/2.8 macro - light, fast, inexpensive, and unobtrusive lenses for shooting static objects you find on the street.</p>