Best camcorder for 1080p video?

justinweiss

<p>I want to get a camcorder that will shoot in 1080p, native. I know some models from Canon, Sony, and JVC claim to offer 1080p, but it's really recorded in 1080i and processed into a progressive format. The Panasonic AG-HMC40 offers 1080p at 24 frames/sec, which is a little slow, and also is AVCHD format (like the Canon/Sony/JVC ones, too.)<br>

What camcorders are available that offer native 1080p at a good framerate and without AVCHD compression? Anything short of a big ol' professional rig?</p>

<p>actually, this whole multi video format thing is really stupid. you buy a video camera, the manufacturer gives you bare bones support with the software, then if you want to do anything besides put two clips together, you have to buy another piece of software.....and the advertising for said upgraded software is so vague, you still don't know if you're gonna get what you want.</p>

<p>and why do P&S cams with video insist on using .mov format? almost nothing can edit it beyond the extremely simple.</p>

<p>they need to standardize this.....like in still photography.........jpg....jpg....jpg..............what is up with this?</p>

<p>What's wrong with 24fps? It's the cinematic standard--24 fps is the standard for cinema but not for video work. In a video camera, it's intended for footage that will eventually be transferred to film for projection in a theater so that there can be a one-to-one transfer of each frame rather than an interpolation from the video standard of 30 fps (actually 29.97 or so). Unless you're shooting specifically for a video-to-film transfer, 24 fps isn't something you would ever use on a video camera. As far as what to buy, I can't recommend a specific model but look at the Sony/Panasonic/Canon/JVC prosumer cameras.</p>

<p>I can whole-heartly recommend the Sony HVR-V1U it shoots 1920 x 1080 24p (or 30p) onto HDV tape that is easily edited bt 1080i editing systems - it's a small camera. this is true 24p - if you see my other posts- the video is so clean I use frame grabs as still-shots!<br>

A truly great value!<br>

hope this helps!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...why do P&S cams with video insist on using .mov format? almost nothing can edit it beyond the extremely simple.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is nothing wrong with the <em>mov</em> format. <em>mov</em> is a media container for streaming video designed for Quicktime and supported by most popular video viewers like VLC. Editing <em>mov</em> files can be performed with most editing programs, including the inexpensive Adobe Premiere Elements. <em>avi</em> is another common video format, but it's not compatible with streaming video.</p>

• 9 months later...

<p>No one bothered to answer the original poster's question: "Best camcorder for 1080p... anything short of a big ol' professional rig?" There was one response but the Sony HVR-V1U is a professional camcorder that costs over $3000. <br>

Justin, the Panasonic HDC-TM700 shoots 1920 x 1080 at 60p, native. To flash memory. No tape. You will have to live with AVCHD, however. That seems to be the wave of the future for 1080p, at least for now. The cost is around $800. You can put the rest of your budget towards editing software.</p>