Best all day backpack for 7d with 70 200

justin_m4

<p>There are numerous backpacks out there that will fit a 7D w/ 70-200. There are many that will mainly fit a 7Dw/ 70-200, and some that will only fit a 7D w/70-200. I would suggest that size may not be as important as you think. The ergonomics, and accessibility of gear in a backpack is of critical importance, and, IME far more important than absolute size. What works for me may not work Phillip, and you. There is no such thing as a 'Best', it's 'best for me', and 'best for you'</p>

<p>I would suggest, if possible, taking your camera (w/ lens) down to a local camera shop, and trying out some of the different backpack options, even if they only have a few different options, they most likely will have different opening styles, restraining systems, sizes. Enough to give you a firm idea of what you like, is comfortable for your body, and allows easy (for you) accessibility.</p>

<p>When I'm only carrying a camera and a 70-200/2.8, I go with the Lowepro Toploader 75. It's a great bag. It isn't a backpack, though it can easily be slung over your back.</p>

<p>I also have a Tamrac 3385 backpack. It's a pretty good case, should easily hold the camera mounted on lens and quite a bit of other gear. I have the rust colored one, which doesn't look like a camera case at all - just looks like a regular backpack.</p>

<p>I've also looked at the ThinkTank Glass Taxi backpack, mainly as a way of transporting a camera+200/2.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 Aw fits a DSLR body with grip and attached 70-200mm f/2.8 lens plus accessories.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I use too. It's a very good bag. It also carries a full size DSLR + 24-105 + a small prime dropped in the bottom. There are pouches for filters, lens cleaning stuff, extra batteries and cards, and sundry items. Oh, and there's also a rain cover tucked in the bottom -- very useful.</p>

<p>Thinktank also makes holsters that work very well. They have a pop down feature when you want to use longer lenses. Great bags.<br>

If you want something more versatile the Sling o matic 10 is very functional. ( a bit goofy looking IMO but great sling bag that can hold a 70-200 2.8 attached if needed )</p>

<p>Be very careful with traditional front loading backpacks. If you forget to zip it up, and you pick it up your gear will be thrown to the ground. I was distracted by a phone call while packing my gear. Finished the call and picked up my pack with an open zipper and threw all my gear on to a concrete floor . Wrecked my 100-400. Now I have a Tamrack Top loading sling pack. I carry it over my shoulder on my back,but when I want to access my gear, I can just spin it around to the front. Not as comfortable as a double strap backpack for a long hike,but much safer. </p>

<p>I, too, use the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW, and picked up the harness to wear it on the front (while I'm wearing my son on my back!). I like it so much that I also acquired the smaller Pro 70 for when I'm using a shorter zoom.</p>

<p>The "Pro" Toploader bags accomodate bodies with grips, but there are cheaper toploaders for bodies without grips.</p>

<p>Bear in mind, however, that these bags are not packs, and aren't recommended for serious hiking. For that, I'd get a backpack with a waist strap. Lowepro makes a range of excellent packs.</p>

<p>Mark, you and I might have different standards for "serious hiking," perhaps relating to my arthritic knees. However, I've found that bag to work very well for the hikes I've taken. I remember buying the bag only weeks before hiking the Hetch Hetchy trail, and I thought it carried my gear quite painlessly when worn bandolero style. Sometimes I would flip it to my back, sometimes my side, and I would periodically switch shoulders. I don't know whether I'd scale a tall mountain with that rig, but it worked well for a less ambitious hike.</p>

<p>What I mean by "serious" hiking, Sarah, is hiking that involves (nontechnical) climbing or steep-graded clambering, where you want to have the load as evenly distributed as possible. And getting as much of the load as you can off your upper back and onto your hips helps, too, hence the need for a padded waist strap.</p>