Beginner with an infant and an XSi

corinne_yang

<p>I'm going to purchase the XSi this weekend. I am new to DSLRs having used the powershot A650 for the most part. But we live in a rowhouse with poor lighting and most of the pictures we shoot indoors are unusable. Not to mention, I am longing to be able to control my images more. <br>

Anyhow, I am wondering if we should purchase the XSi with the kit lens, the kit lens with a 50mm 1.8 lens too, or forego the kit lens and just buy the body and buy a separate lens. <br>

My needs are to be able to shoot photos of a never still, crawling/verge on walking baby in a low light indoor environment without a flash preferably (baby hates, hates the flash and I hate the resulting product where everything is washed out and has a morgue like tint to it). I'd like to be able to take close-ups of her (with bokeh too) - square footage of the house doesn't permit much distance shooting anyhow. We take some photos outdoors, but bulk is indoors.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Corinne</p>

<p>Congratulations on your new baby! I think you'll really enjoy the 50 f/1.8. Whether to buy that lens in addition to the kit lens or instead of it is something you have to decide based on your perception of the usefulness of the kit lens. The 50 f/1.8 will allow you to do available light photography indoors. If you can raise the lighting level somewhat above normal or get into an area with bright illumination from one or more windows, then you can use a larger f-number (such as f/4) to give you greater depth-of-field. In any case, the 50mm focal length is ideal for photographing kids and adults.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Joe </p>

<p>If you want more light and you're in the US, I'd suggest going down to Home Depot and getting a 1000W halogen work light which should cost under $50 and will give you PENTLY of light. Just bounce it off the ceiling (don't point it at the baby!).</p>

<p>Obviously an XSi (or even better a T1i) is another way to go, though the XSi tops out at ISO 1600 and the T1i gets pretty noisy at ISO 6400 and ISO 12800. The faster lens would help too, though the DOF at f1.8 may be a problem with a moving baby!</p>

<p>Bounced flash (on an XSi or T1i) is another way to go.</p>

<p>While there isn't ever anything wrong with getting a 50/1.8 lens (cheap, fast, & sharp), t o be honest, I would stay away from a 50mm lens on the crop sensor XSi if you only get one lens for shooting photos of your child. That is simply too tight of a frame for a baby/toddler. It may work for shots when the child is an infant. But even then, it's hard to get the required amount of working distance when your child is on a changing table. Are you going to get a ladder so you can get 6 feet up to fit the baby's whole body in the shot?</p>

<p>Our child just turned 1 and I have used everything from a Canon 5dMkII to an XTi to a Panasonix LX3 to a film Leica (and everything in between) to shoot photos of him. However, the Canon XTi is the camera that is most always in the house near the baby. So we've used it a lot. I have a 17-55/2.8 on there and really appreciate the fast 2.8. However, even with it I find myself using 800 or 1600 ISO a lot of the time to keep a decent shutter speed, particularly when the kid starts moving. If you are anything like us, a lot of your shots will be indoors, and you really need to think about how much light there is in your house. Ours is dimmer than I would have thought.</p>

<p>I would look for a 30/1.4 like the Sigma if you need to get one fast prime. However, they aren't real cheap. A used Canon 35/2 might be a better choice if you are on a budget.</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-30mm-Canon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U0GZM</p>

<p>You could also look at the Sigma 24/28 fast primes if you wanted something a little wider (and cheaper).</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Aspherical-Macro-Aperture-Cameras/dp/B00005RKSS<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Aspherical-Olympus-Panasonic-Digital/dp/B000JENLOO</p>

<p>If money isn't as much of an object as good photos, I would get the 17-55/2.8. It has been a great lens and the IS helps a lot (though obviously not for subject movement).</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000EW8074</p>

<p>The kit lens indoors won't help much. The 50mm f/1.8 is a step in the right direction, but it's not very fast focusing and, frankly, if you need to use it wide open (f1/8-f2.2) then you will have a hard time getting the focus right, the long focal length and v. shallow depth of field make that v. difficult. That doesn't mean you can't get the shots, you just need to work hard on it and be prepared for lots of misses.<br>

Another option is the much more expensive Canon 17-50mm f/2.8 IS. This lens has a narrower aperture but it has IS and a very fast focus motor that may allow you to better track your subject. It still won't be perfect, but it allows zooming and wider shots at f/2.8 may turn out better than with the 50 f/1.8<br>

Lack of light and fast movement make a bad situation. The best solution is to get more light. You said you'd hate using flash - but there are many ways of using flash. Instead of blasting with the on-camera flash, you may be able to use a mounted Speedlite flash and bounce it off the walls. Even better (but far more complicated) is staging remotely triggered flashes around the room to generally brighten up the room. While you still get a pop of light, it's far less intrusive than the on-camera flash...</p>

<p>I suggest picking up a hotshoe flash that has a swiveling head, so that you can bounce it off of the ceiling or walls. Much less invasive than direct zap-the-eyeballs flash. Chances are your baby won't notice it. Canon 430 EX will do the job, as will the older 420 EX or any other EX-labeled flash.</p>

<p>I suggest an f/2.8 zoom lens, rather than the kit lens or 50/1.8. This will get you the bokeh you're looking for, plus wider aperture means less flash power required. Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is the Cadillac lens, with a price tag to match. I like my Tamron 17-50/2.8. Sigma and Tokina also make f/2.8 standard zoom lenses.</p>

<p>Again, a f/2.8 zoom matched with a hotshoe flash is much better than the kit lens + onboard flash, and worlds apart from a point-n-shoot.</p>

<p>I'd get the kit lens and the 18-55 IS. Both are cheap lenses, and you won't loose much if you decide to sell them later. But chances are they will give you far better results than talk on the net would suggest. If you want to share your images online and make standard sized prints, a XSi with either of these lenses will give you great results at ISO 1600, and that allows for a decent shutter speed to freeze baby action indoors. Just my 2c.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your help!</p>

<p>From what I'm reading, it sounds like the kit lens isn't going to be all that much help. Then would you suggest that I just buy the body and then get maybe a flash and a lens? Will the f/2.8 be fast enough for a moving (make that zooming/uber-crawling/got-ants-in-my-pants) baby? The 17-55mm/f2.8 lens sounds enticing but too pricey for my amateur budget but I will how the other brands you all mentioned price out.</p>

<p>And for my education, does the 50mm/f1.8 require that you stand far away to get a whole baby in the frame? As you can see, I'm about as new to DSLR functions as new can be...</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>All great advice from above...<br>

It is important to consider memory storage, you will be capturing an abundance of shots, and probably want to keep them all. Get an external hard drive, archive them to dvd, store them online and/or print photo books!<br>

You will want to be able to share/embarrass your young one with these photos when they are a teenager!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All great advice from above...<br>

It is important to consider memory storage, you will be capturing an abundance of shots, and probably want to keep them all. Get an external hard drive, archive them to dvd, store them online and/or print photo books!<br>

You will want to be able to share/embarrass your young one with these photos when they are a teenager!</p>

<p> </p>

<p> In your shoes, I'd get the kit lens, used Canon 24mm, 28mm f/2.8, or 35/2, a 430EX Canon flash, 1-2 extra older flashes with slaves, and learn to use all of the above. Head right to strobist.com for the flash course, and experiment like crazy. You have to become intimately familiar with your gear and the space you use it in (your house) in order for it to become seamlessly in your service when you use it.</p>

<p>Congratulations on the baby. The world is born anew with each one.</p>

<p>A 35/2 is a good idea. (By the way, in my opinion and experience the 50/1.8 is an adequate tool for the job too.)</p>

<p>Bouncing flash is also a good plan. (You might just use the new 270 flash which is relatively affordable and can tilt upwards.)</p>

<p>On thing left to add: a lot of the advice here is given by perfectionists. While they're undoubtedly right my guess is that your less picky than most of the responders here.</p>

<p>You might just want to start with the cheapest advice (50/1.8) and work your way upwards from there until your happy.</p>

<p>XSi body plus a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 zoom, Canon 580EX II flash with a Stofen diffuser (use to bounce for even light). You can save money by buying the kit lens and the 430EX II flash but the other kit will be much more useful and versatile. Later add an 85mm 1.8 lens some talent and experience and you're equipped for most anything you will encounter (portraits, weddings, events). Good luck! </p>

<p>Another voice. Within your probable budget the kit lens will be fine. It has Image Stabilization, and if you rig up some lighting you'll do fine. Cold light might be safer around a toddler than hot stuff, but you can improvise your own pretty easily. The 50mm is a little long on the APS-C sensor like your XSi has, but it is cheap and I personally find mine to do OK in focusing and the like.<br /> The 35mm f/2 <em>is</em> better, but also twice as expensive, even used.<br /> I will, however, also point out that many of us with fancy equipment back in film days, found that the early years with kids were actually exactly what point-and-shoots were all about. It's usually more important to have a camera handy, and to have the camera be handy, than to have a fancier rig that would be better for formal portraits and more controlled settings. I'd definitely keep the PowerShot. Stick it in whatever that bag is called with the diapers, etc.</p>

<p>Corinne,<br>

Congratulations on the new baby. I have one - blinked twice and she's already seven. So, getting the camera now will help preserve many memories.<br>

I would suggest you look at the XS as well as the XSi. I chose the XSi over the XS for the better burst rate, more AF points and spot metering. If not for those three things, I would have probably gone for the XS and saved a little $$$.<br>

I didn't get the kit 18-55 IS, so I can't comment on that. I did get the 55-250 IS lens and love it. I need a little more than 3 feet of distance to take a photo of a sleeping infant to get a tight shot of the face/head. I love these shots. For a little more child in the frame I need about 10 feet to get waste up in a walker. Good day light through a good sized window allows me to get the shots with the 55-250 IS when the child is not moving much. Moving outside, the 55-250 IS allows me to get shots in good light from a longer distance and the 9 blade aperture gives great bokeh wide open.<br>

I also have the EF 24 f/2.8. I'm not sure I'd go with the 24 for full body shots of the baby or young child. There is a little distorition of features with the 24. You might consider the 28 or 35 by Canon or the Sigma 30.<br>

I would still look at a flash that can be bounced. Even at f/2.8 my 24 does not always allow me to get the shot I want indoors at dusk with a light bulb. So, don't rule out a good flash if you're willing to learn how to use it effectively.<br>

I also agree that the 50 f/1.8 might not work well in your confined space. I would be more concerned with that for a 50mm than IQ.<br>

I hope this helps with your decision.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>I purchased the 18-55 kit and the 50mm 1.8 with my XSi. I think it's a great combination. The 50 is good for low light (not <em>the</em> fastest, however). If that is the only lens you are going to get, you might miss having a little more versatile lens as a walk-around during the day, at the zoo, at a family member's house. I'd suggest you get both. You can get the kit bundled for a pretty good price now that the T1i is out, whereas buying the zoom later will cost a bit more. Even if you decide if you want a faster zoom a little later, you're still only only $150 or so (@ the bundled price). The optics are good for the price. It is a great base for the XSi.</p>

<p>Bob has the best advice.</p>

<p>Go for the $50 worklights and bounce them off the wall. Even a decent hot shoe flash like the 580ex may not be enough to provide that nice even light you are yearning specially when it is on-camera and has that fancy tupperware on it.</p>

<p>One common misconception is that in order to get a decent image you need a decent glass. Wrong, you need a decent light.<br>

<br /> If you have decent lighting then you can shoot with your kit lens I guarantee it.</p>

<p>I have the 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. The 17-55 wont make alot of bokeh unless you are rather close to your subject and toward the long end of the zoom. Unless your'e home is rather bright you may need a flash anyway unless you want to use ISO 1600-kind of grainy on XSI. It is a fantastic lens though. The 50mm is great, it does take practice to get good with it at big apertures. Unless you have experience with using fast primes at around 1.8, 2.0, it might be difficult for a newcomer. I used to have the kit 18-55 IS lens and it is very sharp, I got some very nice photos with it. Outdoors it would do great. Indoors it's kind of slow-not very useable without flash unless you have lots of windows open. If you are thinking of a prime, the 50mm 1.8 would be the way to go, you could always sell it and loose maybe 20 bucks if you don't like it. A flash that you could swivel the head and bounce light off the ceiling(hopefully it is white) would be different from your direct flash. I'm not sure if your baby would mind that or not. I would go to a camera store and try the XSI with the 18-55 and 50mm and flash. See if the baby flinches or not. See if you think you would like the fixed 50mm distance and if you would have enough room in your house. I would probably go for the 50mm, XSI, kit lens and flash if it is affordable. You could always sell the 50mm or buy something like a 35mm f2 to complement it later. I don't see not having some kind of standard zoom to get a wide angle of a group of people or photo of a car, lake, garden anything. The price doesn't go up with the lens added as a kit, so you could always sell and break even on that. Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd suggest going down to Home Depot and getting a 1000W halogen work light which should cost under $50 and will give you PENTLY of light.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think an extremely hot work lamp around a wandering baby sounds like a really bad idea.</p>

<p>Kit lens is probably too slow for low light conditions and a 50mm f/1.8 seems like a step in the right direction, especially if you're interested in a shallow depth of field. Might be a problem though if you don't have a lot of room to back up. A 28mm f/2.8 might make a nice (and inexpensive) addition to the 50mm for that purpose.</p>

<p>Don't listen to anybody who tells you that you need lighting for portraits. The sun is an excellent light source. You do have <em>some</em> windows in your place, right? A big sheet of white posterboard can make a nice reflector for fill, too.</p>

<p>have a 3yo kid. have a closetful of nikon lenses from film/hobbyist days. sadly, seem to only shoot the kid now. and out of all those lenses, fixed and zoom, 35/2 w D70 is what i use most. limited depth of field is nice for kid pics. low light capability is good. flash is often distracting and not flattering.</p>

<p>I have the XSi, but our children are a bit old for following them around with the camera - at 42 and 38! But between them they do have three little Shi Tzu dogs and I do take lots of photos of them when they visit. I actually don't use my XSi, as picking the right lens to be able to capture them is more trouble than its worth.<br>

I also have a 10MP Canon supezoom XS10, which I use most of the time. I mount my Canon 430EX on it with a diffuser, head pointing up. With the range of the zoom (20X, 28-560mm) I can get shots almost whenever and wherever I want. No distracting harsh flash shadows behind the doggies, just a hint of a shadow. Our youngest son and his wife just had a baby a month ago, and I shoot it with the same setup, again no harsh shadows, photos look like they were taken without a flash.<br>

So I'd suggest a flash for your XSi and a diffuser. I always balked at the $20-25 local prices for the diffusers that slip over the end of the flash, couldn't really get into paying that much for a piece of plastic. At first I just bounced the flash, but this resulted in shadows under the eyes of the doggies and people too. Then I made a reflector with some silver mylar type material glued to the back of a business card sized piece of cardboard. I fastened it to the back of the flash head with a rubber band, to direct some of the bounced light towards the front. Worked a whole lot better. Then I got a diffuser on eBay from a dealer in Hong Kong for about $10.00, postage included. Now that's all I use, both with the SX10 and my XSi.<br>

The diffuser on the flash throws light towards the ceiling and generally lights the room; it also sends light out its sides giving a real nice "non flash" look. Flash stops motion if your subject is in focus too.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My advice would be to choose the window in the house which has the most light and a bright day. setup something to occupy the child and shoot away. Hang a white sheet up to reflect light back towards the child also. I would choose the 35mm f/2 or the f/2.8 zoom mentioned above. Without GOOD natural light you will always be disappointed by out of focus shots or blurred shots with low shutter speed or underexposed high ISO shots.<br>

If you cannot create the light environment then you will need to use bounced or off camera flash as mentioned above.</p>