Bay sunrise

Ken Ratcliffe

Response does seem slow so I will try and post to this new forum, hope I get this correct if not then better to try and get it wrong than not try at all. This image I've posted on "Seeking critique" it's not received any comments but some "Admires" so thanks to the members who replied.

Please respond with answers to the following. 1) composition and use of subjects ie;- sun, seagull, people, boats. 2) colour and use of light. 3) presentation.

316705803_Baysunrise-web.thumb.jpg.42fcf370bb991482aeb4567f0bd36c61.jpg

OK, I'll give it a try. To 1) I find the image quite busy and find my eyes are darting back and forth between the various image components; I would be very tempted to simplify by cropping, keeping the current aspect ratio. Eliminate some of the empty foreground and the wall on the left by moving the crop box from the lower left corner. Then move it from the right lower left to just behind the rightmost boat (possibly cloning the remainder of the wooden pier on the lower right). That crop moves the people and boat in the middle ground to the 1/3 line and the seagull to almost the intersection of the right vertical 1/3 line and the top 1/3 line. The crop eliminate the house on the right that I find adds nothing to the overall image. To 2) I imagine that there was quite a bit of salt spray in the air - hence the haziness and low contrast of the overall image. The sun is still fully out which makes me think it was actually lighter than what the image shows - but increasing exposure seems to destroy the mood. I'd be tempted to increase overall contrast just a little by carefully deepening the shadows or adding black. To 3) I am at a loss as to what to write about that.
  • Like 2

OK, I'll give it a try. To 1) I find the image quite busy and find my eyes are darting back and forth between the various image components; I would be very tempted to simplify by cropping, keeping the current aspect ratio. Eliminate some of the empty foreground and the wall on the left by moving the crop box from the lower left corner. Then move it from the right lower left to just behind the rightmost boat (possibly cloning the remainder of the wooden pier on the lower right). That crop moves the people and boat in the middle ground to the 1/3 line and the seagull to almost the intersection of the right vertical 1/3 line and the top 1/3 line. The crop eliminate the house on the right that I find adds nothing to the overall image. To 2) I imagine that there was quite a bit of salt spray in the air - hence the haziness and low contrast of the overall image. The sun is still fully out which makes me think it was actually lighter than what the image shows - but increasing exposure seems to destroy the mood. I'd be tempted to increase overall contrast just a little by carefully deepening the shadows or adding black. To 3) I am at a loss as to what to write about that.

Many thanks for your comprehensive and detailed reply all of which is now making me very pleased to have posted to this new forum. Your observations and suggested alterations are so helpful. Many thanks, best regards Ken

Version 2 edited as recommended by Dieter.

A very much improved image thanks to Dieter and the Critique Forum.1149650147_Baysunrise2-web.thumb.jpg.05313372093c217c866562c923c76918.jpg

I think that cropping does improve it, although sometimes the world is just "packed".

The disappearance of parts of the bird's wings into the cloud background leaves me straining to connect the dots. At the same time, the bird sort of makes the picture, doesn't it?

I tried to adjust with contrast, etc. but there is not much left to adjust.

I love the colors

I think that cropping does improve it, although sometimes the world is just "packed".

The disappearance of parts of the bird's wings into the cloud background leaves me straining to connect the dots. At the same time, the bird sort of makes the picture, doesn't it?

I tried to adjust with contrast, etc. but there is not much left to adjust.

I love the colors

JDMvW thank you for your interest and involvement with the new forum. Yes there are several "faults" with this image that being the reason I submitted it for critique, hoping it would generate interest and comments. Lets hope more members join in and make a go of this forum. Best regards Ken.

I submitted a photo one time to an instructor and he asked me what the subject was. It was a great photo with nice colors but I couldn't honestly say. I'm getting the same vide from this one. Great colors but I still not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. Almost like there's a bird photo-bomding your great sunset.

Wonderful catch of colors.

• Like 1

I submitted a photo one time to an instructor and he asked me what the subject was. It was a great photo with nice colors but I couldn't honestly say. I'm getting the same vide from this one. Great colors but I still not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. Almost like there's a bird photo-bomding your great sunset.

Wonderful catch of colors.

The sunrise was the intended subject but yes the seagull did bomb the shot giving me two subjects. Thanks for your comment and input.

Ludmilla's idea works well. Another possibility is a wide crop leaving out the foreground below the puddle line as well as all of the boats. Really an amazing capture - a great deal happening - almost surreal in that sense. I can send or post the crop if you like. Right place right time well captured!

Ludmilla's idea works well. Another possibility is a wide crop leaving out the foreground below the puddle line as well as all of the boats. Really an amazing capture - a great deal happening - almost surreal in that sense. I can send or post the crop if you like. Right place right time well captured!

Please post your crop Sandy, I'm always interested to see other peoples versions helps to give me ideas. Thanks for commenting. BR Ken.

A gull, with nesting materials no less. Is this possibly real? There are so many elements that it's overwhelming, yet, if true, then it's very interesting to see.

That said, the strong point of the image is the sun and sky colors. I'd love a panoramic crop, with only the sky, sun, waves and hills. If the people are really there, then I'd leave them, but get rid of both birds and the people or pilings on the right.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
OK, I'll stick my oar in - better late than never. Going back to the original image, I agree about losing the 'lump' on the left, but I do like the gentle glow on the wet sand in the foreground, which to me leads the eye through the watercraft to the land mass, then up to the gull, across the wings to the sun, which stops the eye drifting out to the left. The muted colours also suit the scene, rather than the harsh glare which would have prevailed without the veiling clouds.

I was going to do a crop that would make this image better in my opinion and Sandy did it almost exactly as I was going to do it. The original was OK but too much unnecessary clutter. I would do some minor PS tweeking to maybe lighten up the bird, some subtle sharpening and jack the contrast up a tad.

Please view my original post, the forum was new and response slow. I posted this somewhat over complex image hoping it would attract interest. Thank you to all members who have posted replies with helpful suggestions and advice. The image posted is a composite image, two images taken approx 2 miles apart then blended and pp'd to give a much improved (though no where near perfect) image. All the critiques and advice posted is very welcome and helpful for any future composite efforts, the two originals are posted below.