and a 50mm/1.8. I used a Nikon D200 with the ISO set between 1000-1600. I

shot using manual mode varying my shutter speed from 60-300. I wish I would

have moved around a bit more but I was limited to the bleachers side of the

court since it was a rather small gymnasium. Anyways, please take a look and

provide your honest feedback. Here's the link:

http://www.mtrejo.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b32b074884df

Thanks.

Manuel

I also shoot basketball and other sports shots for the local high school...you might try some tighter cropping, especially on the "action" shots...if not in the orginal shot you can use one of the several photo programs. And as always...practice practice practice...Happy Shooting!!!

Not trying to sound like a wise acre but they look very much like snapshots, not sports photography. You may want to grab a few sports magazines and take a look at some of their basketball shots. Many of them are very tight on the athletes, others are long shots that give context to the action. Many shoot from various angles that well below or well above the action to heighten the sense of vertical. Also background is very important on many of the shots. Finding the right spot for the action and the background takes practice. Get out of the stands, get some knee pads and prepare to get some sneakers in your ear and sweat in your gear. Given the limitations you mentioned in your post I'm not sure what else you could have expected.

As said above, cropping. Cropping some of these will make them better. And backgrounds

are very important too. Sometimes it's hard, as in your case when space is limited. Next

time just see if you can move around just a little bit. <a href="http://

www.sportsshooter.com/rolandsimmons"/>Here are some shots</a> that I took back in

December at a HS tournament. See if you can sit under one of the baskets and shoot.

I agree with the above poster that they look like snapshots. Shooting basketball is tough, and is only pulled of when your setup and equipment are perfect. The sense of the vertical is very important, as mentioned . If you are limited to the stands, try to get on the base line or corner, in the front row. Since you're shooting with a D200 you can crop the images down so that it "appears" as though you shot with a longer lens. Also try using a remote flash setup. Clamp your flash to the bleachers and get away from it. It can add much needed light and some "pop" to the otherwise flat gym lights.<div>00JmjB-34748184.jpg.64854b52f514dc4ac0439f263681acf6.jpg</div>

Ernie, it depends on what is available to clamp to. Most of the time I can clamp to the

bleachers. One on the right, the other on the left on the side that I am shooting on. I use

Superclamps to mount the flashes. If I can't find something to clamp to I will use light

stands. I hate doing that for basketball games though. most of the time there is

something to clamp to. You will need some kind of radio slave to trigger your lights. I

think the sb800 have a pc socket so you should be good there. I use old Canon 540ez

and I have to use a miniphone to hotshoe adapter from pccords.com to connect my

pocketwizards. Last basketball season I was using white lightnings but went with the

speedlights this season for ease of carrying, setting up and breaking down. sometimes I

still use the white lightnings when I need more power.