Basic Software to burn HD D7000 Video to DVD with a Windows Computer

elliot1

<p>I am considering using the D7000 on a tripod as a backup video recording device for an event I will be shooting next month and have no idea which software I can use to burn a high definition DVD of the MOV files created with the D7000 using my computer. No editing will be involved so I would prefer something simple and low cost. I am running Windows 7. </p>

<p>Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.</p>

<p>No, just the standard DVD burner. I also have a stand alone Sony burner that burns AVCHD video from my Sony HD video camera which renders DVDs in HD that are Blue-Ray compatible but it doesn't seem to like non-Sony files. I may have to buy a low end HD camera for this event if I can't figure this out.</p>

Windows 7 movie maker software will allow you to burn video from your d7000 to DVDs. You have to download it after registering

with Windows Live. I have used it with my D3s and seems to meet my needs at the moment.

<p>It appears the D7000 can record up to 20 minutes at a time, which would be fine. The total recording time that I need to run the 2nd camera will be no more than 40 minutes so I would have to stop and restart the D7000 once. Thanks for the tip Pat. I will give that a try tonight.</p>

<p>While I had never really tried the video on the D7000 out, I did this morning and to my surprise the video quality is actually quite good.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The total recording time that I need to run the 2nd camera will be no more than 40 minutes so I would have to stop and restart the D7000 once.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I thought that part of the limitation on video length was due to the heating of the sensor. If this is the case, would you be able to restart a second 20 minute segment immediately after the first, or would it even be wise or safe to do?</p>

<p>Unless you're video taping a blank featureless wall, (my understanding is that) full HD video will hit the 4GB filesize limit after about 12 minutes. You will not reach the 20 minute mark when shooting HD, so count on stopping and starting multiple times.</p>

<p>Given that a standard definition DVD will hold about 4.38GB of data, you're going to be spanning multiple disks if you want to burn HD video to standard DVD disks without any editing or compression.</p>

<p>You can have the D7000 shoot in standard definition. You'll still have the 20 minute limit for shooting but the file size will be greatly reduced.</p>

<p>Get NERO, perhaps try before you buy ?<br>

Latest version is 10, and handles most HD video formats.<br>

Keep in mind that DSLR shoots video clips. To shoot video movies you need a camcorder (seems that you call it video camera ? and you already have one ?)<br>

If you are really into video, get Sony Vegas full version.</p>

<p>From your latest information a camcorder is better suitable for the task than DSLR.<br>

Length of run depends on the memory card size, AND operating system that it will be opened. Windows 7 would handle vary large files in a single piece, like 12+ GB that will exceed dual layer DVD media. Auto focus will work, and you will not zoom the lens unattended.</p>

<p>If you intend to fit entire video into a DVD, then shoot at much lower video quality, and it will record/play much longer in time.</p>

<p>Full HD AVCHD camcorders with all features are now starting from around $450 or so. If gets stolen, or hits the ground, it will certainly cost less than DSLR.</p>

<p>Again, my intent was to record the event with a 2nd video device, kind of like a backup. I will be recording the event with my camcorder and I guess I will need to pick up another one. </p>

<p>But I will try out some of the suggestions as I suppose it would be nice on occasion to shoot video with the D7000 when I don't have my camcorder with me.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses.</p>

<p>You need to check your camera manual if you use the D7000. My 5D Mkii will only record for about 12 minutes before shutting off recording. It will put two such recordings on one 8 Gb card. The cards also have to be fast, but you probably already know that.<br /> The idea of turning the camera on and letting it run for an extended period of time will not work if your camera operates the same way.<br />With regard to heating, I have restarted my Canon immediately after it stops several times to continue recording without any overheating problems.<br /> I use Toast Titanium for making DVD's. You can download trials of most of the programs mentioned to see which one suits your needs best.<br /> Maybe you're already aware of these things, but I'd hate to see you count on something that won't get you what you need for a job...<br>

ADD: I just took a look at the D7000 manual. If I'm reading it right it will stop after 4Gb or 20 minutes of recording. It may stop sooner however if the card write speed is slower. I'd suggest a trial run to see what you can get out of the cards you are using...</p>

<p>[[Rob, I think Window 7 movie maker can do HD movie and copy on DVD but it takes ample time to finish and can be viewed on computer and just use HDMI to view on Lcd/Led Tv.]]</p>

<p>Copying a video file to DVD and creating a high-definition DVD playable on a set-top device are two completely different things. </p>