Barry Thornton

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind messages of condolence

following Barry's death. They have been such a comfort and Barry

himself would have been amazed at the regard in which he was held.

Thew family are desperate to keep his work going for the sake of his

memory - not for financial reasons. It was very much a one man

company but we have the formulae and some stocks of materials.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

I wish I was nearby and could lend some assistance in some way to help keep things going forward. Like I mentioned in my email to you using Barry's Exactol Lux, along with his suggestions and techniques in his new self-published book on digital printing, has given me the best and most consistent results with my B&W development and scans than anything I'd used before. And this is above and beyond the inspiration I gained from his earlier books too in just becoming a better photographer. I'm hoping that there will be some of Barry's enthusiasts close by to you who might be able to help in production, operations and distribution. If somehow there is anything I can do to help promote and market at least a small representative selection of Barry's products I will be happy to see what I could do either locally here in San Francisco, in a nationwide effort in the US, or on the internet. Anyone else want to brainstorm on this and see if some kind of coopertive, international effort we can keep Barry's legacy going?

• 1 month later...

Would Calumet Photographic be interested in absorbing Barry's products into their line? I don't care for how they have handled the Zone VI line, but at least some of it is still on the market. They do have an operation in the UK:

Calumet UK Administrative Office

Promandis House

Bradbourne Drive

Tilbrook

Milton Keynes

MK7 8AJ

01908 366344 (telephone)

01908 366322 (fax)

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed Barry's books and I think his art is of an incredible standard. Barry is my favourite photographer and his loss is really felt. Although I have heard of Barry for quite a few years now I never knew he lived that locally (I live in Tutshill). I never had the pleasure of meeting. I have even found out since that a few friends worked for him in the past.

It would be really nice to have a local exhibition of his work (I would just love to see his work in the flesh) and to gain some recognition from the people of Chepstow.

Best Regards

Chris

(chris@angryskies.co.uk)