Band Promo Photography

bruno_maric

<p>Hello all, <br>

I've been shooting for about a year now but mostly I try to do portrait type of stuff; fashion & glamour. One of my good friends has asked me if I'd be interested in shooting her friend's band this week. The problem with this is that I haven't really ever photographed a group, let alone a band. From what I know thus far, they want regular promo shots - on location - nothing live. <br>

Please give me your best advice and anything else that might be of some help. <br>

I will then decide, based on how comfortable I feel, whether or not I will shoot with this band. <br>

By the way, please keep in mind that I usually only work with natural available light. </p>

<p>Check out this article: <a href="../learn/digital-photography-workflow/overview/event-photography/index.adp"><strong>Digital Photography Workflow: Event Photography</strong> </a> by <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=19592">Jeff Spirer</a></p>

<p>Even if you're not photographing the performances right now, some of the same techniques will apply, especially if you want to convey the character of the artists.</p>

<p>And <a href="../beginner-photography-questions-forum/00RljT"><strong>this thread</strong> </a> for links to illustrated online tutorials. The <a rel="nofollow" href="http://ny.webphotoschool.com/" target="_blank"><strong>NY Web Photo School</strong> </a> tutorials are particularly good.</p>

<p>After years of experience, including a stint as a newspaper reporter and photographer and several live event and promotional shoots, I still learn good tips from these tutorials.</p>

<p>If you primarily work using natural light the photographing one person isn't all that much different from 4 or 5. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've photographed a few bands and find the best way to approach it is in a very organic way. Just hang out with the band, have fun, take a bunch of shots, every now and then when you notice a good shot ask them to pose somewhere, but keep it casual. Good luck and have fun!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Check for your favorite bands promo shots and make something of that style, if they will have their instruments, and appear playing guitar, or bass in the picture. Have them plugged in, this gives them more confidence to be natural and you'll get nice shots. <br>

I did something like you but with a guitar player, I think I got some nice pictures taking in mind that someone else developed the film for me and I wasn't available to use all the lights I wanted to.</p>

<div>00Rzr6-103303584.JPG.9721a230f857cf7e39db01d524733bfc.JPG</div>