Backdrop Pulley System Tutorial

trevor_jansen1

My one isn't made by Manfrotto, I happen to own the old Hama system which came with wall or ceiling mountable pair of triple hooks and it's expan aequivalent has a metal chain.

Bolting the hooks is no big issue. Backdrops are very forgiving about real world precission, so your concrete drilling attempts may be a bit off. - Don't worry go ahead! If you are mounting to a ceiling use a magazine or similar to get close to a 90? angle related to the wall behind, when you are holding the 1st hook to mark it's holes. Drilling the center one and marking the others later is a reasonable aproach for the shy. At a wall I'd use a rope with something tied to it to get a idea of "vertical".

For the 2nd Hook on a wall a spirit level placed on the backdrop roll (use 2 similar rubberbands to strap it, if you are alone) might be helpful, but a pencil marking the height on the wallpaper should do the same job. When you are marking the wholes make sure you leave enough space frome the 1st hook. My expan substitute demands 3" precission range for the distance of the 2nd hook. If you place it as close as possible you make your life unneccessary hard. Because a later aquired roll might be a wee bit broader and cause trouble to you.

The attached pic shows my stuff and trouble. Arrow marks where the hook should have been. Unluckily I got 2nd expan and grey backdrop after mounting.

Feel free to ask further questions. I used 8mm wall plugs and 2" long screws appropriate for them. If you have your hooks and know what your walls / ceiling is made from carry one to a hardware store and ask for the best they sell. Overkill shouldn't harm, maybe some youngster might attempt to play Tarzan on your pulley chains one day...