ASUS PA238Q ips panel monitor - srgb OR standard for viewing?

<p>Hello everybody!<br /> <br /> I have just now purchased an ips panel monitor 23 inches - ASUS PA238Q which had very good specs and seems to have won many awards.<br /> <br /> To me the monitor appears to be very good. I have bought this especially for color editing of my Interior Design Project photos of building interiors. I have not yet dug into it and have just started using it with the default setting.<br /> <br /> It has sRgb setting and "standard" setting & other presets and an user setting.<br /> <br /> Which setting - sRgb or Standard - should i use for normal viewing of pictures (JPEG images) and which one should I use for photo editing - especially for correcting colors. I notice that after I installed the driver for this monitor from the CD, and if I went into the "color management" dialog box, Asus has set its own profile as the default profile. Should I continue with this profile or delete it and have no profile in the Operating System (Window 7 Professional).<br>

First, I want to know whether to keep this profile or delete it.<br /> <br /> I shoot in RAW+jpeg Fine and edit them in Adobe Lightroom or Nikon View NX2.<br /> <br /> Should I edit them with the default profile of sRGB in both LR & NX2? Or should I assign the Asus profile while editing?<br /> <br /> My final image would be saved as a JPEG image. ( I save it as 16 bit TIFF for a master file - jpeg file is saved from this tiff file).<br /> <br /> I am quite confused on this sRGB setting Vs the Asus ICC profile. My vendor told me that Asus icc profile should be used for best color rendering. How do I view this jpeg images with this Asus profile? And SHOULD I USE THIS ASUS PROFILE AT ALL.<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance<br /> PRSS</p>

<p>Obviously the best solution would be to create your own profile. For that you will need to purchase the necessary hardware (puck) and accompanying software. </p>

<p>Next best option is to use the default profile provided by the manufacturer. As for choice of color space in your (color managed) editing software, use whatever you like but never, never assign the Asus profile (or any other profile designed for a monitor) to your images.</p>

<p>Thank you Mike Blume, thanks a lot. I never got this type of direct answer - not to use Asus profile to my images (in photo editing software) through other photography forums. I could not infer from any of the replies that I must not use this profile when editing. Even the vendor has misguided me on this.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the info.</p>

<p>With best regards<br>

PRSS</p>

<p>Without knowing exactly what gamma, white-point and colourspace the "standard" setting is, it would be advisable to avoid using it. Asus aren't a high-end colour-concious provider with a reputation for accurate reproduction, and some OEM provided profiles are far from ideal (or even useable).</p>

<p>If your final output is for web use, then you should use sRGB, since that's the standard for web viewing. Any other profile will just have to be previewed in sRGB and the files converted anyway.</p>

<p>For printing you really need to calibrate the monitor properly to get WYSIWYG output.</p>

<p>It seems that Sivakumar is trying to deal with 2 issues:<br /> 1. What monitor profile should he use (specified in the OS color management dialog)?<br /> 2. What working color space should he choose for his editing software (or the file exported from that software?</p>

<p>As to (1), clearly a custom made monitor profile would be best; but that requires purchase of the additional hardware & software. Otherwise, I would assume the manufacturer provided profile would at least utilize the monitor's native white point and gamma and thus, while it may not be ideal, in the absence of other options, seem to be the best second choice.</p>

<p>As to (2): I agree that, if final output is primarily for web viewing, sRGB would be best. Alternatively AdobeRGB or ProPhoto can be used. The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that neither the Asus monitor profile (nor any other device profile) should be selected for the working color space in the editing software.</p>

<p>One more quesation.</p>

<p>If I keep the sRGB setting on the monitor, the image is a bit darker and also more contrasty. In this mode I cannot adjust the Brightness/Contrast value to reduce the contrast. I can only increase the overall brilliance by about 20% more. Still it remains more contrast.</p>

<p>Is this normal? Should I edit photos with is setting? If I edit photos with this setting, I tend to make the photos less contrasty in the photo editor which makes my photos look normal contrast on the monitor. But the photos which I already have before buying this monitor looks a bit more contrasty. So I am wondering which photo is correct. Have I been looking at photos with more contrast because I had some other non IPS (TN) monitor before without any profile.</p>

<p>Or SHOULD I REMOVE THE ASUS PROFILE FROM MY OS? So that if I go to color management there would not be any profile. Please advise.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance<br>

PRSS</p>