Article: Shooting an NBA game with the M10 and APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4

How was it composing and focusing in a window barely larger than the rangefinder patch?

I used to shoot a lot of sports with the 135/4 and an M4. You learn pretty quickly, or you get an SBOOI to assist in framing. Not rocket science, just plenty of practice. And as far as framing goes, the wider view of the optical viewfinder allows you to easily see things coming into the frame of reference and capture the right moment.

I needed a 1.5x magnifier for accurate framing and focusing with a 90/2 Summicron and 135/4 Tele-Elmar. Both worked very well on a Sony A7Rii, and were much smaller than comparable Sony/Zeiss lenses, but without the interface perks (e.g., auto manual focus magnification). I wonder if the Sony would pass muster at the gate?

I shot many basketball games with a Leica M2 while working for a local newspaper. I had privileged seating under the basket, and seldom needed anything longer than 50 mm. I agree completely with the ability to see outside the frame to anticipate action.