Argus C3 Filter size?

I have an Argus C3 'Brick' camera that I recently aquired from my local thrift

store for 16 bucks. I cleaned the (near) mud off of it and looked pretty nice.

The shutter appears to work correctly at every speed and the glass and blades

are pristine. The rangefinder's vertical alignment is off, though. I have

determined it to be by its serial number and lack of acessory shoe, but

presence of flashgun sockets, to be after 1939 but before 1947. It has the

ColorMatic red an yellow marking along with 5 shutter speeds.

Anyway, I realy want to get a filter to go over the lens as to protect the

glass, but the filter size must be something crazy like 17 or 18mm. My C3 lens

does not have a filter holder built in like some do. I've searched these

forums and Google times over, but cannot find any info on the size. Any input

is appreciated.

Mine came with screw-on filters... but they were all delaminated. Also came with a screw-on telephoto converter... completely fogged with fungus. If you are serious about the filter issue you can probably buy another one that comes with some. Mine also came with a case... thats probably the best way to protect the glass, the case also has a strap on it, making it easier to LUG around.

I have two C3's and a C3-Matchmatic. While the glass looks to be the same diameter on all three, the latter has a Series V screw-in retaining ring.

I haven't followed up on the task of digging thru a box of Series IV accesories to check my hunch that I will find a threaded Series IV holder.

As another poster mentioned the Series filiters can get pretty crappy with age and environmental stress (I'm talking about the laminated filters, not the photographers).

The larger-barreled C3-Matchmatic has a smooth flat barrel ring that would be suitable for something like a piece of foamcore with a slightly small hole to push onto the barrel and a larger adapter (for example a 43-49 step-up ring) to hold pristine modern filters.

The above example also works for Series VI - take a Series VI ring, glue a 43-49 step-up to it and use 49 mm filters.

I'll see if I can figure out what works with the C3. I seem to recall a non-smooth front, just threads, but that's just from my memory.

Hmm, the price for adapter and things or retro-fitting something on there seems like much more trouble than its worth. I have the leather case - I suppose that is the best way to protect it. I am curious about the lens shade in that size though. I'm sure if my Brick dies or the glass gets scratched, I can get a more accessoried one on ebay for less than I paid for mine. Thanks to all who answered. :)

P.S. Perhaps I should start a new thread for this, but that blue brick Gene has looks great. Did you order leather or do it yourself? I'd love to recover mine, but I wouldn't know what to use for glue.

• 10 years later...

The inner black plastic threaded ring on the front of the lens is to hold Series V filters. An even better option is to unscrew this black ring and buy a series V filter and hood. The series V filter will be held in when the series V hood is screwed onto the threads vacated by the black plastic ring. ie when you unscrew the black plastic ring in front of the lens you expose these nice series V threads that can except a Series V hood and filter. No push on adapter needed. The newer 101mm F 4.5mm Ektar that fits on the 2x3 Crown Graphic is the same way. It accept series V hoods that can screw in to it instead of a push on setup.

John Flinn Portland OR

The big auction site fairly often (including today) has the Leica screw in filters for the Elmar which is the same size as used on the C3 (19mm) (and sometimes they are advertised as such). Walz was a name which is often associated with many of these filters these filters. Generally they sem to run about $8-20 each. Personally the only filter I'd use on the C3 would be for B&W, a yellow K2 to lightly increase contrast. These cameras can produce good results, and were quite popular with Kodachrome users in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
To think I used to know this all like the back of my hand. The "standard" filter for the M3 is the 19mm Leica filer. You may have noticed it, but the front of the lens just surrounding the glass front element is threaded ---- it is here the 19mm threaded filter lens goes. You can also use one of the larger "Series" holders which slips over the entire front lens body, but this is a problem. Using the tiny 19mm filter allows you access to aperture changing and focus by turning the lens itself. Filters which cover the face of the lens can interfere with certain features. Those 19mm "mini" filters used to be made by Walz, and as I recall came in a set of four. They've become pretty scarce.