Arax 60 & Wierd Film Fogging Mystery

photobal

<p>Not sure where is best to ask this but here it goes:<br /> Got an Arax 60, which is basically a rebuilt Kiev 60. It seems to function well, shutter fires, sounds accurate. Fit and finish is a bit loose but it all functions well.<br /> I shot a roll of Arista EDU Ultra 100 today as a test. I developed it in HC-110 1:63. The first 4 frames came out well: properly exposed and focused and the spacing was good (frame spacing can be an issue with this type of camera). The next two frames looked to be partially fogged and the rest of the roll was completely black, right to the edges.<br /> I heard the shutter fire properly through the whole roll. The film was rolled up nicely in the camera when I opened the back and I stored it promptly in my bag, after sealing the roll.<br /> Once home, I popped the roll and developing tank in my change bag, loaded it and developed the roll.<br /> I just can't seem to figure out how the last part of the roll of film got fogged. Any ideas?<br>

Frame 2 is below:</p><div>00XOJH-285597584.jpg.1ca1f8c40e54f65540bc2b3ee893aad1.jpg</div>

<p>I know what I did wrong! As I lay in bed trying to sleep I kept going over what I did and then it came to me. In my excitement to get this first roll from this camera developed, I forgot to put the centre post in the reel. This post blocks the light from entering the tank (Patterson) when the lid is in place. I guess I'm lucky to get for frames. Oops.<br>

Man.I.Feel.Stupid.</p>

<p>Hi Bal. Glad to hear that you've solved your fogging problem, but I'd be interested to know why you went for an Arax (AKA Kiev). I had a Kiev60 briefly a few years back and found it to be complete junk - sorry but it's the truth! Among the faults were a complete lack of any frame spacing mechanism, mirror bounce, intermittent loss of flash synch and a lens mount that wouldn't easily take my old Pentacon6 lenses - the very reason I'd bought it. It went back for replacement once and when the second sample proved also to be similar junk it went back for a refund.<br>

Anyway, I'm finding it difficult to understand why anyone would buy one of these things when nowadays there's a whole range of really good used MF cameras going for comparative peanuts.</p>

<p>Joe, I wanted to shoot medium format and thought hard about what gear to purchase. I read the pros and cons if going the Kiev route and decided that Arax was the best option for me. I know I can pickup a used 501CM or Bronica SQ (I only wanted 6x6) for about the same price I paid for my Arax but the cost of extra lenses is still high. I like the look if the Carl Zeiss Jena lenses (especially the 180mm) and they are quite cheap.<br /><br />After a week I am happy with my purchase. Since I won't be shooting a lot with this camera I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Time will tell if I'm still happy after another 10 or 20 rolls.</p>

<p>I've had my Arax 60 for about seven years and it's been quite reliable. I bought it to use with the Zeiss Jena lenses from my Pentacon Six Tl, which seemed to break every time I so much as looked at it. I've since added a couple of Ukrainian lenses [30 mm fish eye and 65 mm shift] which are also pretty good.</p>

<p>I have a lot of M.F. cameras to choose from and I also have a KIEV60 that I own just to photograph with those cool east-German and Russian or Ukranian lenses. I admit that these cameras are not at the top of the reliability list. However if you are carefull with loading and lens changing, it is a camera that can produce a lot of outstanding images for a long time..I would not take this set-up on a professional assignment unless I'd back it up with Hasselblads or Pentax 6x7's. Nevertheless whenever I go shooting with it I feel free and happy taking my pictures and I enjoy the great quality that Sonnars Arsats and Biometars can produce, for landscapes and portraits.From what I know the Arax refurbishment is very thorough and the kiev 60 has a lot less to go south than the 88cm's that offer inter-changeable backs. So unless you need to change film constantly mid roll I can find it to be a pretty interesting choice. I've used medium format equipment for more than 30 years,Hasselblads, Pentax 6x7 Bronicas gs1, Mamiya 645 all with several lenses. None of the aforementioned systems has gone without repair and maintenance issues, which I find to be normal. That is why professional photographers ALLWAYS carry back up bodies, backs and so forth. That way if something should go wrong you can jump that hurdle. So if owning a second body as back up can only set you back around $200. for an Arax, that's not too bad. I hope that helps.<br>

The attatcment photo is one taken with Kiev 60 Sonnar 180mmm f 2.8 with fuji Acros 100</p>

<p>Boris, that is an incredible portrait! So far I am really enjoying my Arax. I have my Nikon digital gear for my pro assignments; This camera is just for fun. Once I get the hang of things I'll start my hunt for a 180mm Sonnar. I love doing portraits and this lens looks ideal for that.</p>

<p>Rodeo Joe, why an Arax?</p>

<p>Well I got an Arax-60MLU in 2003, because - as others have said - of the lenses. First of all, there was no other system to shoot such fast, beautifully rendering, inexpensive lenses on 6x6; and I wanted to get my feet wet in 6x6. Secondly, I already had been using an M645 1000s and 3 lenses (45/80/150mm) for over 10 years, so the Kiev/CZJ lenses served double duty on an adapter - allowing me to affordably expand my M645 into new focal lengths like 30/3.5 fisheye and 300/4 Sonnar.</p>

<p>Eventually I found myself using the M645 more than the Arax - just from the point of view of features and system. 6x6 seemed too close to 645 now; I wanted lots more film real estate. So I kept the 645 stuff and replaced the 6x6 with a move up to 6x9 (Mamiya Universal). I still use some of the very best and most unique Kiev/CZJ lenses on my M645s, including on my digital-backed 645AFD.</p><div>00XP5I-286355584.jpg.24164483da3ea16cb413dec9d7e26ae9.jpg</div>