Arax-60 or kiev-60M by hartblei

koche_phot

Hi,

I'm trying to get into medium format 6x6.

I'm looking for the cheap but reliable way to start with.

I already have a Carl Zeiss Jena biometar 80 2.8 that i mount to my Canon 35mm with tilt adapter,

and planning to get either the 50mm flektogon or arsat MC 45mm.

Seems like the modified Kiev 60 is the way to go for me.

So I was wondering wich one is the reliable : Hartblei kiev60M or Ararx 60MLU ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pascal.

"50mm flektogon or arsat MC 45mm."

Take the 50mm. I've used it for few months now and find nothing to complain about, very nice even wide open. 45mm Arsat on the other hand gathers quite bad reviews, like "amazingly soft until f11". I haven't tried it but as the 50mm can be had cheaply I see no reason to buy the Arsat. Sure, sometimes it would be nice to have little bit wider lens but...

Zeiss Jena 180/2.8 is also seriously good but awful to carry around, weights a ton. 120/2.8 is Much lighter if you want to try something a bit longer than standard 80mm. Fine lens.

I haven't tried Hartblei models. I bought my MLU modified version from Araxphoto and it works well. No problems whatsoever. It's not pretty and not really ergonomical but works and I've grown to like it. The metering prism works ok (shot some slides with it) but I use mostly vlf for much reduced weight and bigger image (and I just enjoy shooting with the vlf).

Medium format cameras are very much at home on a tripod if you want most out of them but that's no reason not to handhold if you feel like it. ;)

I enjoy low light shooting so I had to try Arax at club environment. (Quick scan of a small print, don't mind the ugly borders, neg is fine.)<div>00QR3X-62639684.jpg.f046666d4bfec83ff855fa00c7838803.jpg</div>

I can't offer any direct advice on the two camera versions, but I have dealt with Arax a couple of times. Quick, friendly service, and everything has arrived well packaged.

If I were to choose, I'd go with the Arax version, or a fully services Pentacon 6TL.

I took it because I thought there's nothing to lose at that price. The lens is ok, nothing spectacular, it lacks the feel of CZJ 50 and 180mm but I've printed 20x20" with no problem (I don't know how it would compare at pixel peeping tests... and don't care). I guess it's hard to make actually poor normal lens.

my first medium format camera was an arax 60 mlu, and in my opinion its a great starter, especially when you use zeiss lenses on it. the biometar 80 and 120 are both great, and affordable. the arsat 30mm fisheye is fun to play with too. i used it for 4 years, then sold everything in order to get a mamiya 7 after deciding that i was going to stick with MF for awhile... the people at arax were always a pleasure to deal with.

id say dont bother getting the metered prism, just get a light meter and the regular waistfinder. also, 'cupog' and 'grizzlybear33' are reliable sellers of kiev / pentacon lenses and accessories.

Thank you all for your advice and information.

I made up my mind, I bought an as new Kiev 60 modified by hartblei via ebay.

it was $160 for the body+WLF+TTL prism.

A new arax would cost $280 for the same set up.

Can't wait to try it out.

• 4 months later...

<p>Pascal CHEA,<br>

If you don't mind, how do you like your Hartblei Kiev 60?<br>

I am also considering one of their Kiev 60's - much lower price than Arax. Although, I don't see that Hartblei does as thourough of an overhaul as Arax, so the Hartblei might be slightly more unreliable than the Arax. If it's a matter of $100 for a much more reliable camera, I'd pay it now, instead of "paying" by dealing with cruddy equipment.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Billy</p>

• 1 year later...