Arab photography

DrBen

<p>Interesting photos, Benoit, thanks. What I particularly like is that I find them to be good photographs first. They engage me as a fellow human being. It is interesting, but a bit secondary to me, that they are "Arab" photographs. Quite a number I enjoyed, but I particularly liked the burqa clad women framed by the hand holding couple, and the westerners on the bus, with the view of two men in a truck next to them, looking inside. </p>

<p>Why not a forum (maybe impractical) or alternatively a regular feature at Photo.Net with the title "World photography", in which various countries and their photographers might be highlighted, or member's suggestions indicated for website links or other information that might interest members?</p>

<p>While international photography presence is not foreign to Photo.Net, it appears in isolated different ways, whereas the different work or movements of photography in different countries, often local culture related, might be brought more into perspective via a new feature with that intention.</p>

<p>Arthur, although we regularly see references to Japanese and sometime European photography (until the Urals) we very rarely see photography from the Americas, apart from US and Canada, and even more rarely African and Indian photography. They are all different photographical traditions and all deserve to be better represented and promoted here on Photonet. <br /> I'm not sure that a specific forum on "World photography" is the way forward, as if what mostly is shared here on Photonet is not from this very same "World". I think in fact that it is more up to each one of us to continue sharing information and images from different regions of the world as we find them - without being discouraged from the lack of reactions.</p>

<p>Anders, I agree with your perception. However, rather than a world photography forum which I think impractical, what I was thinking of was a world photography Photo.Net feature, in the manner of POW or other features. It would take some effort to host it, but once up and running the interactions could be useful and promote interaction of curious members with those of other cultures and their outlooks, photographically speaking. </p>

<blockquote>I think in fact that it is more up to each one of us to continue sharing information and images from different regions of the world as we find them - without being discouraged from the lack of reactions.</blockquote>

<p>I agree, Anders. I'm not against your idea, Arthur, but as you say it could be a lot of work. When people post links in the Casual Forum to things they've found, I almost always check them out. I've been exposed to a lot of interesting work that way. There's almost always something interesting to find on sites like Lens Culture, Burn Magazine, photo features hosted by the NY Times, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, Nomenus Quarterly, etc. </p>