application icons... film vs. digital....

Hi

I'm currently writing an essay about analog and digital photography (I'm a photographer), and I'm

interested that many digital software applications use pictorial references to analog photography in their

application icons (as seen in the Mac OS dock, or wherever). On my computer, the following

applications have icons that represent analog photography:

Raw Developer - a wet print in a red plastic developer tray, with tongs

Photo Mechanic - several large-format transparencies on a lightbox

Photoshop CS2 - a quill

Apple Preview - a loupe with prints

Whereas these photo-related applications don't represent anything analog:

Flexclolor - a scanner

Lightroom - 'LR'

iView - an eye

Eye-One Match - a puck

Captue One - a camera lens

Nikon ViewNX - what the ?

Well, that's all the photo-related applications on my computer.

I'm very interested to hear of other photo applications that reference film photography with their icons.

Could you have a peak at your dock?

Thanks

Elliot

(sorry for the esoteric question...)

<i>I'm currently writing an essay about analog and digital photography </i><P>

You'll sound more credible if you don't use the term "analog photography." "Film photography" is completely-accurate and universally-understood.<P>

Nobody prints on sheets of "analog monitor material" or listens to "analog musical disks."

Fascinating request! It shouldn't be, but it is. I may repeat some of yours, but I have

what looks like an old-school video film camera on i-chat, a loupe and prints on

Preview (could be either), a print on PS Elements (either), some sort of print or film on

Epson Scan, and a print on VueScan (either).

"Analog or film are both perfectly good descriptions for the film process. One of the leading film photography forums calls themselves Analog Photography Users Group (APUG) and it doesn't seem to hurt their credibility at all."

It's a photochemical process, not an analog one. APUG originated by people who railed against digital discussions on this site and mistakenly asserted that the opposite of digital was ... analog. As for their credibility, I could show you some posts here by original members of that site which might change your mind....