out Ralph's Market off of Bradshaw Avenue. I should have opted for

the Chinese at the little joint at the end of the shopping center,

but I'd already chowed down at the "trucker's corral" Buffet at the

Flying J in Ripon and needed something to help digest what the guy

wearing the Kenworth ball cap and the Oakland Raider's tanktop said

were "crab cakes."

While looking for the Pepto, I came across the magazine rack and the

latest Shutterbug caught my eye and my disposable income. I've had

indigestion before and it didn't kill me so what the heck....

Meanwhile, back at the Motel, I wondered about the past,

specifically Who had done what to Who on that King size mattress.

Its tough being on the road and alone(sigh!) I dragged my

imagination out of the gutter and took a gander at the Shutterbug---

especially the article on using coffee and washing soda to develop

film. "Hey, this looks pretty interesting!" I said to myself.

That was last night, this is tonight...but that coffee developer---I

can't get her off my mind, I tell you! She haunts me with her silly

promises of squeaky clean coffee prints. Just this morning at

Starbucks I fantasized about the possibilities...but what, I ask

you, could a pot of "joe" with a washing soda chaser do for my

film? What if nothing developed from my little fling with caffiene?

Could I ever go back to good old D-76, who has stood by me in thick

and thin for all these years, through whatever wild and crazy

emulsions I've dragged home from who knows where, without a

complaint? Do I leave my beloved D-76 for the stimulating, keep you

up all night long promise of Madame Cappuccinno?

Or, has anyone here ever tried using coffee to develop film? ;-)

I once tried a brew of very strong coffee and tea on a junk roll of color film (I think it was 35mm ISO 400 Ferrania disguised as Albertsons house brand). It developed an image. Too dense to be usable. But promising enough to investigate further if someone cared to, at least for true b&w film.

I read about vitamin C being used as a developer at www.unblinkingeye.com and that too is mentioned in the Shutterbug article. I was impressed by the images I saw there(Unblinking Eye), but the author of the Shutterbug article kind of leads me to believe he got better results with coffee. While the author didn't recommend continuous agitation, I might try coffee in the ol' Unidrum just to see what happens as soon as I can get some washing soda. Maybe Mrs. Olsen and Juan Valdez can get gigs on the Freestyle Photo Advisory Panel---mountain grown coffee for mountain landscapes? French Roast for Bergger BPF200? Soup the last of your Agfa APX in Chock Full O Nuts? FWIW, You folks who shoot digital must feel soooo left out, but not to worry---there is an article on what to expect if your flash card goes through the laundry in the same issue. Aye carumba!

It would be interesting to come up with a functional, reliable developer solely from ingredients available at any grocery store. No metol, no hydroquinone.

Caffeine, in whatever form; vitamin C; borax; sodium bicarbonate - reportedly sodium carbonate can be made from it; lye; and possibly other ingredients are readily available.

Whether a usable, versatile developer could be brewed up is another matter. Since even I'm not that hard up right now, despite my tight budget, it's unlikely I'll do more than speculate.

In "Chimie et physique photographique" P. Glafkidès

"Any substance with an oxydo-reduction potential <0.180v had a chance to develop a photographic image. Arribat (Sci et Ind Photog, 1944, 15, p204) tried with succes many products : sugar, leucobasis, hemoglobin, anaerobic bacillus, old burgondy wine with alkali, etc..."

In france we are disadvantaged, we must add alkali to our wine to develop, but in USA I'm sure you can develop with your pure american wine !

It's only a joke, in france too we can make bad wine !!! ;-)

Pascal

John,

For the Atgets dev I don't know if he use wine (I think he used vin ordinaire for him ! )

But for measuring exposure times he use the "cigarette timer": night with many lights: you smoke one cigarette during exposure, low light two cigerettes, etc...

With wine and cigarettes he lives from 1857 to 1927, and metol is hazardous !

Darin,

It was a brief business trip in "The Big Tomato." I drove up from Baja Stockton(Fresno.) Actually there are some very nice areas in your neck of the woods, but unfortunately I seldom get the time off to go explore---and when I do get to Sac, work keeps me in the less scenic sections of your fair City. BTW, That Chinese place by Ralphs on Bradshaw(S.of U.S.50) really has great kung pao shrimp! I now have two rules for travelling: 1) Don't eat a crabcake served at truck stops, and 2) Never stay at a motel named after an aircraft carrier.(Corollary to Rule #2: If I do stay at a motel named after an aircraft carrier, I'll be sure to have a good photo magazine handy!) For the Moderators information, this actually does have something to do with LF---my Houston-Fearless(!) LF aerial film processor chungs chemicals in multiples of 5 gallons. If I can substitute Folgers or Thunderbird for Dev, it might be both a less costly and enviornmentally friendly alternative (if the results warrant the switch.)-------------Cheers!

I'm surprised at you guys. Vitamin C is as good as hydroquinone. You will need a tiny amount of metol or phenidone to make a really good developer. The only other ingredient besides water is an alkali, and you can make sodium carbonate from baking soda by heating it or from baking soda and lye by mixing 2.1 parts of baking soda with 1 part of lye in water to get a solution of 3.1 parts of sodium carbonate monohydrate. Or, you can use pHPlus from swimming pool supply places.

It will cost you about 25 cents a gallon of working solution. It is a surface developer that gives fine grain and good film speed.

A lot of organic molecules will develop silver halides, and the

early photographic literature is full of oddball recipies and

formulea. The real problem with kitchen kemicals is finding a

good *fixer*. See "The Killing Fields" for further details.

Vit. C works well, but is susceptible to poisoning by high metal

content in your water, and is itself easily broken down by heat,

light, mechanical agitation or strong acids or bases such as

residual stop bath or fixer.