Anyone Have a Nikkor Manual Focus Lens CLA'd?

Vincent Peri

I had an 85mm f1.4 AIS manual focus Nikkor serviced at Midwest Camera Repair. Cleaned/lubed the focus mechanism and calibrated the focus as it was off. With shipping both ways it was right at $185 and now works like-new.

Next up I need to send them a 300mm f4.5 EDIF.

First-class shop.

Depending on the lens and how hard it is to work on, you might give a try to Vermont Camera Works. I've had a few lenses done there, and the price was a bit better, though I did not have to cover shipping (local place). Some lenses are quite a chore and some relatively easy, so prices will vary, and by the time shipping comes in it might not be much better, but the estimates are free.

Zooms will be difficult, because of the zoom mechanism.

I brought a Nikon 80-200/4 pre-AI lens to be CLAed, and the tech said the CLA would not be worth the cost, because of all the work that was involved in reassembling and colimating the lens.

A prime would probably be much easier and cheaper to do.

I have a couple of NIkkors that need a CLA.

I doubt it is worth it if resale is the intention, but do they really need a CLA or is it just stiff/dry/loose focusing ring?

Sover Wong will fix that for USD 75, but will not be cost efficient for you as he is located in the UK.

I don't know if there are any reputable US techs that haven't converted to the Cult-of-CLA and will fix a specific problem and not do a complete CLA if it isn't needed?

If a CLA is really needed, you can sell them "for parts". There are many people that works on lenses privately and pays fair money for a non-butchered lens.

The focusing ring on my 200/4 had completely stiffened up - an excellent lens but in low demand, yet someone was happy to buy it for $40. I found a smooth working sample for $70 in same cosmetic condition as the one I sold.

Niels