Anyone experiencing SD "Card Error" with Canon A620?

A querky thing is happening with my new Canon A620 and two new

SanDisk 512MB (not super speed but regular) cards. About 1/3 into

the card capacity I start getting "Card Error" messages with

inability to either record or view recorded images. "Card

Corrupted" or "Unidentified File" comes up. Also, a regular card

format can be done in-camera, but not "slow format." That comes up

every time with "Card Error" and the camera just goes black and

shuts down. My other smaller, 64MB and 32MB cards all work fine in

all functions, including slow format. So I'm suspecting the Sandisk

512MB cards. Have posted a request with SanDisk Support, but have

not yet heard. Thanks to anyone who might recognize something I'm

missing.

I've never experience this with the A620, yet. Is it possible that you worked images in the SD card in PhotoShop and stick the card back in camera? Even then, that doesn't explain the camera shutting down.

Before you do anything, if you have images you need retrieving from that SD card, stick the SD card to your computer and run Sandisk "RescuePRO." It will automatically pull out any corrupted files.

After that, I'd say do some test shooting and isolate problem to either the camera or the card. Whatever ending up being at fault, exchage it.

Good luck.

^_^

Both 512MB SD cards have same problem? Wow, what's the chance of that happening?! I'd say go ought to go buy yourself a Lotto ticket tonight. You'd probably get the winning ticket! ^_^

I personally wish Canon and other manufacturers stick with the more robust and more common CompactFlash cards instead. I guess the good thing here is that you don't have any critical images lost during all this.

Encountered strange misbehavior -- similar but not identical to what you're experiencing, Howard -- using Sandisk Ultra II 1 gig cards on a different Canon, the S2 IS.

I gather you began by formatting the new cards in camera, before taking photos ?

All formatting was done in the camera and the cards were sealed in factory packaging. I'm waiting for SanDisk's response, hoping it's not an issue with my particular camera. It'd be hard to ship that off to Canon for service, after only having it for three days. Thanks everyone, for responses.

• 3 weeks later...
To finish this post, I sent photos of the cards to Sandisk who promptly replied that they were not their own, but frauds. My problems were being caused by bad sectors on both cards. This is a lesson learned; buy from reputable dealers.