Anyone else have problems with Adobe Bridge opening?

I have installed and uninstalled Adobe PS CS(2) now 8 times and

can't get the Bridge component to open either from the Program list

on the Start menu or from the Browse button on the drop-down menu

under File. I can't think of any other ways to manipulate it than

what I have already done. It tells me it is unable to locate one of

three files, but I find the file in question every time in the

folders under Adobe on the hard drive.

Anyone else have a similar situation or have a suggestion? I have

seen this browser feature in action and I want to use it!

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Keep Smiling!

Gup.

This is a long shot but try deleting your setting files by holding down shift-control-alt (shift-comman-option on Mac) immediately and I mean IMMEDIATELY after launching Bridge (this works on any Adobe app as well). Keep the keys held down until you get a window asking you to delete the setting files.

Will

Adobe CTI Photoshop

Sorry for not supplying more info.

I'm using Windows XP Home. The computer is a new Dell with 1 gig RAM and lots of hard drive. Dual core processor Intel D, etc.

The message I recieve when trying to open Bridge is a window saying Bridge.exe unable to locate component. Then it says it can't find a file called libagluc28.dll , or , libagli18n28.dll , or, agldt28l.dll

I have all these files in Adobe under Common Files and in Adobe Help Centre, so I'm not sure why this is happening. I have also received a message stating that I must have at least one other Adobe program installed and activated, which of course I do with PS CS(2)

Any other ideas folks? I am going to Google it now as suggested and see what I find and visit their website for updates.

Thanks,

Gup.

I use Bridge & CS2 on a 3GHz pedestrian 1.5 year-old Dell PC with hundreds of image directories and 40,000 image files (3MP to 12MP)across a couple 225 GB hard drives. Only 1GB RAM too.

No major issues with it being "too slow" for a speed freak like me.

At out print shop Bridge is rarely used around customers, unless the are old retired folks with no schedules and have no rush jobs. Bridge to me seems like an abortion, sluggish with dual core, P4, P3's, anything. This includes boxes with 7200 and 10,000rpm drives and 2 gigs of ram. One can use Bridge to peak at a directory of a customers images, and many times it just takes forever, even if the images are first copied to a fast HDA. In one experiment we started Bridges song and dance snail Browse with our quickest dream machine. Then we booted up another computer, a decade old 200Mhz Pro with windows 2000. then we opened up Photoshop 7, and browsed over the network to browse a dupicate set of images, and they all loaded up twice as quick as the CS2 dumb Bridge applciation. One can use a 200Mhz computer with 512megs of ram, open them up over a network quicker that a 3ghz dual core with the images hot on its own 1000rpm HDA. Bride is an amateur affair, one that wastes time. Here I almost always use 7 or CS around customers, since it is 10 times quicker. Since we are always looking at customers images; the "first time" browse is important. Often it is the only peak we get at their CD. Folks like to wait on images that load like mollases; ie dont like to fart around with an amateur program that bogs and sucks eggs. With about 24 computers of all vintages, even one that is a decade old with CS or 7 browse seems jato powered compared to Bridge. Old Bridge has some cool features when one has time to burn. Here I use CS and 7 for browsing since the "coffee break" Bridge is just too dang slow, plus it irritates customers and wastes their time. I sure hope that CS3 fixes Bridges bog, and makes it at least within 2 of Cs and 7's browse. CS and 7 browse is like DSL or cable modem; CS2's bridge seems like a 2400 modem. Here I have been using Photoshop since version 2.5. Before that I used Photostyler.

In a quest to figure out why Bridge is a bog; I have varied the computer used, the ram, used quick and slow HDA's, tried systems with small video cards, giant gamer cards, intergrated video, most with win2000, some with XP pro. The cache in the CPU's has been from just 128k in a 566Mhz celeron, to some 1 and 2megs of cache several Ghz CPu's. All I can figure is that my two copies of CS2 are old, and the updates are just polishing the muffler bearings, and not correcting some terrible poorly executed code.

Greg,

No worries about supplying more info. :o) Being asked questions is how we learn what to supply in practice as opposed to study.

Make sure you have XP and Bridge fully updated. If you still have problems then share them and we can start debugging it. I run the latest Bridge and XP and have no issues so we have a working baseline. I would bet it is a system configuration issue.

Kelly,

As usual, it is nice to hear a different perspective.

Personally, I find that with a 100 or so new 8 MP RAW images it needs 5 minutes. With 1000 JPEGS it needs longer but within 5 minutes it is stable. With 8-bit uncompressed TIFFs it is faster than with RAW.

Hence for first viewing it is slow.

But, it is adequately fast on subsequent views of the directory.

I should also note that as a power user I keep the OS & its swap file on one drive, the image files on another drive, and the Bridge Cache files on a third drive. I also use a fourth drive for the PS scratch file. Hence I ask how many drives you have in your systems Kelly? Because even with 10,000 RPM drives a single non-NCQ drive is going to suffer severe performance loss the moment the drive head starts seeking. An NCQ drive should suffer less of a hit but will still lose performance. I ask because hard drives are one of the worst links in modern system performance and are often the biggest performance issue.

Albeit, pulling data from a CDR or DVDR will also have potential to create slow things.

In short, I find Bridge good for collection usage but so-so for acquisition.

enjoy,

Sean

But for professionals and amateurs searching archives it is q

Sean, Here I tend to use CS and 7 for a first time viewing of a customers images, and CS2's bridges for stuff that I have already done one view already.<BR><BR>I use to work in the disc drive industry and have done alot of experiments with read write transfer rates of scsi, ide and the newer sata type stuff both controllers and HDA's. I have alot of test programs to measure transfer rates of data versus disc radius, and have about 50 HDA's. <BR><BR>Your opening times for bridge seem about the norm here, I guess I am abit use to the "quicker first time open" time of the older PS versions. <BR><BR>With a customers goofy input, often the CD or DVD has a goofy structure, ie NONE. This means they might have no directories, and just many many hundreds and hundreds of files of all types on the root, with no directories at all. This type of input really chokes Bridge, because it is opening a zillion images.<BR><BR><b>It would be cool if Bridge had a toggle or hook that had a fast load feature, that was a quick skim feature, with less data brought in at first.</b><BR><BR> When a customer wants you to print their April 2006 kids baseball images, and there is no CD structure, the first images loading might be Christmas of 2004, and then Knotts Berry Farm ride images of spring 2005, yad yada. With poor file organization of a customers usual CD, Bridge can take 1/4 hour to suck in thousands of images before one can locate those baseball images. If the CD had a mini directory with the 100 baseball images, then one can use Bridge real easy, and they cool features used. <BR><BR>Customers sometimes do some real goofy stuff.<b> Some take a digital image, print it on a printer, then flatbed scan it at a zillion dpi and create a monster file.</b> Sadly I have seen Photoshop certified folks and "experts" do this alot; creating images 100 to 1000 times larger than the original image, with no shadow of highlight details. When asked for the original digital file to work with, most get offended, many just say to work with the "better larger file". <BR><BR>In some images from the local power companies graphic art dept guru's and the US Forest service Photo experts, the bloaded upsized images were in the range of 300megs to 1.2 gig. <BR><BR>It is bizzare to get a say 650 meg jpeg that opens to 1.2 Gig; created from a 3.3 Megapixel P&S camera's image. With some of these file creations, some computers will lock up or get confused if one just tries to use Windows explorer to see what is on the cd.<BR><BR>In some situations, these companies "gurus" purposely create a bastard ornery file that is jackass to open. This is done so they can say <i>"the local print shop cannot print my files"</i>, so they can get the cool printers for themselves in-house. I have seen this happen in about 4 local companies. The bean counters require a quote on outside printing before justifing the capital expense of buying a new toy for the kids in the graphics art dept.

• 1 month later...
Hey Gup, I had the same problem. One day everything was working OK and the next Bridge wouldn't open. I had not installed or uninstalled anything. The only thing I did was run my antivirus proggie which I do on a regular basis everyday (it has never broken anything). I don't have Adobe Suite, but do have PS CS2, Elements 4, Premiere Pro 2.0, Illustrator CS, After Effects 7.0, Audition 2.0, and Encore DVD 2.0. Even though Bridge is somewhat slow (though not as slow as for some in this forum), it does come in handy when working between these Adobe proggies. I use Extensis Portfolio 8 for the bulk of my photo movement, storage locations, assignments, etc. When Bridge broke I tried reinstall, upgrade, unstalling one of the main Adobe programs and reinstalling. Nothing worked. The fix on the Adobe site was confusing to me. I was afraid I would break more than it was worth. I tried Google and A9 with no working results. As a last ditch effort, everytime I tried to start it and the error message came up, I wrote the .dll name down. I then located that .dll in the Adobe proggies that I have, then copy/paste them into the Bridge folder under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge. I rebooted and guess what? The damn Bride started! It has been working a couple of weeks now. Can't believe the fix is this easy! Try it and see if it works for you. Jan.

• 7 months later...

I finally got it to work! I had to completely uninstall including a deactivation. That didn't remove all the files, so I did a manual removal of the Bridge folder and any others I could find. I then reinstalled, reactivated, and....IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!. Next i had to manually find and copy the following dll files to the Bridge folder;

libagli18n28.dll

libagluc28.dll

agldt28l.dll.

That did it. It is now working properly. I tried all the other fixes including the one on the Adobe support page, and none of them worked. If anyone can explain the problem to me I would be very interested.