Anyone actually use a "string tripod"?

david_klaffenbach

<p> I have one at the bottom of one of my camera bags. They buy you 1-2 stops of steadiness used correctly, and if you use dark thread (woven 60# fishing line works well, or parachute cord), you can use it in many places where a monopod is forbidden.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I too have one in the bottom of my camera bag. It not something that I use very often , but for low light in museums and churches it works great. It also costs nothing and weighs nothing. The washer helps keep the line on the ground while you step on it. Mine is a single line with a washer. I also use a loop on the bottom post of my tripod that I can step on to make it even more stable. The same cord secures it when its folded up.</p>

<p>Are you thinking that extension would be horizontal or vertical?</p>

<p>I don't see much gain from a vertical extension, but if it were horizontal and you had two strings separated by several inches going down to a single foot, you'd have good protection against rotation around the lens axis.</p>

<p>I tried the string, but had no joy. I agree with the physics of using a 6 inch rigid vertical extension that the string would attach to. That could help. If you think this through, the string attached directly to the bottom of the camera offers almost no steadying from normal camera wobble. It actually seemd to make my camera/hands wobbble more. It would be interesting to do one of those stabilization tests that DPreview does for IS systems.</p>

<p>The stringpod works the same way as a rifle sling. A significant help to some folks if they know how to use it, a nuisance and distraction to others. It's only as good as your overall ergonomics, which relies on skeletal alignment, balance and breath control to minimize muscle fatigue and overcompensation error.</p>

<p>Study some exercises used by offhand (standing) target shooters to help with steadiness in handheld photography. At 51, after severe injuries from a nasty car wreck several years ago, I'm nowhere near as strong and steady as I was at 20. But the lessons I learned in target shooting in the military translated well to help me continue to enjoy handheld photography. On a good day I can still shoot at 1/30 sec. standing and get reasonably sharp photos, and can manage 1/15 while kneeling, crouching or sitting. I'll use the camera strap wrapped in an odd looking way around my back, shoulder and elbow, rather like a rifle sling, to aid in that extra 5% of stability.</p>