Any recommendations on a portable storage device?

carlosmiller

Sounds like you're looking for an Epson P-2000/P-4000. TBMK, they are the only ones that do what you're asking. And TBMU, they don't display ALL flavors of RAW files.

There are a ton of threads about this on dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com also.

<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.

Check out the GigaVu Pro, which is favorably (very) reviewed on Rob Galbraith here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

Also, consider whether it's not cheaper and more convenient to simply buy a bunch of CF cards. You can find great deals on these now that the new 8-gig cards are coming out. For example, a 2-gig Kingston Elite Pro now goes for about $65 each from Dell. That's about 225 8-meg raw files on one card. 10 of those, say, is roughly the price of the GigaVu. But the cards weigh next to nothing and fit in your pocket. And there's less of a reliability concern, in that, with a storage tank device, if it fails before you get home, you've lost your pics and, because you've been reusing the CF card, all data is gone.

In any event this is what I concluded after recently considering the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to wait for one of the Microsoft Origami units and see how they are. I was going to look at one of the Epsons but for the price, it's only a little less than the origami's with a bigger screen too. I don't know how much bigger they are to the Epsons though.