Another silly amatuer wedding photog question

laurie_m

I have been duped into shooting a wedding for a family member. It's

an outdoor, late afternoon wedding and reception (thankfully) and

will be less formal than the usual event. I've scoured these threads

and most of my questions have been answered. I have my equipment

ready to go, stroboframe and all. I'm not too concerned about candids

but did want to make sure the "formal" shots meet expectations (even

though I have stressed over and over again, not to expect much).

Here's my question. Won't I need to crop images to standard print

dimensions (ratios) for albums and frames (5x7, 8x10, etc.). Is

there any rule of thumb for allowances on the side when composing so

I don't lose Uncle Johnny in the final crop? Are there other similar

composition issues I need to be concerned with?

I guess it would be helpful if I mentioned I'm shooting 35mm (digital

and a backup film body). I may also try some formal b&w shots with

an old Minolta Autochord (medium format)as extras. Heck, just to

round things out, I may even take the Holga.

As someone more comfortable with Nature photography, any guidance is

greatly appreciated. (The wedding will take place next to a pond.

They better hope there aren't any wading birds present to distract

me.) I also appreciate some of the very extensive and

helpful "lists" that have been posted in this forum!

Frame for 8x10 in the shot. Just always make sure you have space on the long ends of the frame. The 2:3 viewfinder is like a 4x6. 8x10 is the same ratio as 4x5 so imagine cutting a "half inch" off each end of the frame of a 4x6. That's what I try to visualize.

Good luck Laurie!

I can just see myself in that situation. Ok, done with the digital SLR stuff, now maybe just try one or two with the 4x5.

"Everybody, EVERYBODY, HEY, everybody. STAND STILL. DON'T MOVE. Hey you, lady, grab that 3 y/o of yours and tell her to quit twirling, I'm trying to make art here."

A Champagne fountain would be too much. Where's my eight stop ND when I need it. I gotta get the blur just so. And keep these guests standing still for 18 seconds.

Did I set the spot meter for 320? Did I load HP5 or was it FP 4? Did I close the lens, take out the darkslide? I wonder if there are any shrimp left at the buffet.

Just the thought of it gives me chills :)

Have fun.

Mac

Thank you all for the advice. Luckily, they'll take what I give them. They'll truly understand the meaning of "for better or worse" when I show them the proofs. I made it very clear....I rarely shoot people let alone weddings. Their response was "It's you or nobody". How's that for pressure. I'm handing out two other camera bodies, set to auto-pilot for others to shoot as back up. I just want to make sure they get a few prints that will fit nicely into the frames they'll no doubt get as wedding gifts. For all you professional wedding photographers, I'll make it a point to make a "folder" of my attempts. It should be a great marketing tool for you. Just direct your potential clients to my site and tell them "this is what happens when you entrust your special day to an amatuer". The wedding is April 22nd. Look for the photos about a week later. Just promise to send me a commission for every client my folder helps you land.

MacGregor, I would thank you for your comments but somehow you've made me even more apprehensive than I was before. Should I NOT shoot at F22, ISO 200, and 3secs with a grad ND. I've had my best success with those settings :). Dang...I better make sure I can find F8 on my lens.

Here's your equipment list: one camera, two lenses, auto-flash that runs at f5.6 at 200ASA.

Here's your technique: Turn on the flash, set the camera at 1/60 of a second and leave it there. Shoot at 5.6 inside. Outside meter for the ambient light and leave the flash on at 5.6. Completely avoid taking photos in the direct sun if possible, you're not up for that yet.

This is the "training" I recieved many moons ago from a former employer who recently retired absolutely, filthy rich. May it serve you well.

Laurie, I had to chuckle reading your post. I am in almost the exact same situation except the wedding I've been pressed into service on is April 23rd. May I ask what you settled on as to your equipment? Perhaps we could compare notes and decisions made as a result of our research and reading the plethora (albeit helpful) posts.

I proof at 4x6. As stated earlier.. a 8x12 is workable as well. 4x6 and 8x12 are the only sizes that will be "full frame" from your negative. All I can tell you is what I do. I shoot some with a nice allowance for 8x10 a smaller allowance for 5x7 and 3 1/2 x 5 and some nice full frame 4x6 shots. Since most of my clients order 4x6 and 5x7 I'm good. The only shots I worry about for 8x10 are couple shots and perhaps dancing and cake cutting and family.. Since I do a storybook style album - that all fits in just fine.

Unless specified by the client--I always shoot full frame. 7X10 ~ 8X12 ~ 5X7 1/2. Most mini-labs will happily print the listed sizes. The Pro labs may charge extra. It is not the photographers problem that the industry has not kept of with the medium @ large. If 82% of the world shoots a 35mm ratio >> retool. Think how many decades ago the 5X : 10X papers where manufactured. How many carry their 5X7 or 8X10 view cameras around to fit the paper "standard" set. When I use to shoot 120 film > I delivered 8x8 and 10X10 prints * Just my 2 cents *

Wow...more great information. Thank you all so much!

Jan-I'm taking a shot gun approach and taking every piece of camera equipment I own, even my Nikonos. There's a pond there, you never know!

Seriously, I figure I'll do most of my shooting with my D70. I'll have an 18-70 (kit lens), 70-200, 105 macro (for rings and other details). I'll have my 70-400 VR available but doubt I'll use it (unless a deer wanders into the area).

I'll have an SB800 flash mounted on a stroboframe. I also have a lumiquest softbox for the flash. I even have a reflector for the formal portraits if needed (I normally use it for flower shooting).

I never go anywhere without my trusty tripod.

I'll have 3GB of memory (god I hope I don't shoot that many frames), I'll be shooting RAW, maybe RAW +jpg.

I'll be taking 2 film bodies (and lenses to go with them). One loaded with B&W and the other with color. I'll have my adult nephew shooting with one of them (he's been tagging along with me doing pet portraits) and my sister will have the other. I'm also going to shoot some Holga shots (more for my own pleasure than anything else) and a few formal portraits with my vintage autocord. I'm still making some final decisions on film. Whatever I get, it'll be at least ISO 400.

Here's an even bigger dilemma....Attending a family wedding, I would normally wear a dress or a skirt. Normally, when I shoot, I wear jeans or hiking shorts, hiking boots, and a photo vest. I suppose the khaki vest with a little black dress and pearls would work. I don't think they make an evening bag big enough for my lenses though. Hmmmmm, so much to consider!

I just looked through your website. I think you'll do just fine! The Minolta Autocord was probably as well built as anything Rolleiflex put out, and the lens was no slouch. I still have one and use it on occasion. Back when medium format was the favored thing for wedding photography I did all my weddings for at least 10 years with Autocords before buying a Hasselblad.

Here's the happy couple. They were visiting weekend before last and we went for a walk on the beach. They didn't know I was watching them (thought I was shooting a Pelican behind them).

John, thanks for the suggestion. I can probably use the extra lens pouches from my backpack. They're removable and could easily be put on a belt.

Al, Thanks for the vote of confidence! Also, thanks for sharing your experience with autocords.

If I have the crop thing straight...what I basically need to do is compose the way I normally would looking edge to edge, corner to corner...then back off a bit to allow for clipping when resizing. I liked the "rule of thumb" suggestion from Steve. I can easily visualize an extra person on either side. Again, I'm really just concerned about the "formal" shots. It's not a typical extravagant wedding with a huge bridal party. It's an outdoor event with about 50 people. I think there will be a MOH and 1 bridesmaid, A Best Man and one Groomsman.

Again, thank you all for being so generous with your advice!

Looks like you have everything under control and are well prepared. Your sense of humor will help a great deal, believe me.

About the clothing. I wear a skirt set--skirt/short sleeved sweater and jacket--and the lighter Lowepro belt, along with a shoulder bag and battery pack. You probably don't need the battery pack. Look for durable material and simple design. Fussy dresses don't work too well, I think. Also, no jewelry for me--just gets in the way. I probably look pretty funny with the belt on since I'm short, but I couldn't get along without it. Think layers--I generally work up a sweat pretty quick when I'm photographing. Also--sensible shoes. Working at a wedding is not the place for high fashion, unfortunately.

As long as it isn't "Till DEATH (yours) do you part" you should do fine. I echo the vote of confidence. Take a spare (or 2) memory card, Lots of film, and Batteries - Loads of Batteries! Bringing the Energizer Bunny as a guest would not be out of line here!

Good luck!

Derek Isaacs

btw - great candid of the 'happy couple'!

Laurie - I shot some close friends' wedding after their professional photographer dropped out on, literally, the day of the wedding. I don't have any technical advice to give you (more of an expectation thing) but I did find it difficult to switch roles from friend who wanted to celebrate with my friends to photographer to record the wedding, and I did deliberately not take a couple of good shots because, as a friend, I felt uncomfortable being that obtrusive. In hindsight, I'm not quite sure what I'd have liked to have done differently (not be the photographer, probably), but knowing that my friends would want a good record, and knowing that we were going to be seeing plenty of each other in the future anyway, I'd probably firmly put the guest/friend role to one side, and focus thoroughly on the shots. Hope this helps. Good luck - you have the skills, the talent and the empathy. Jeremy.

Last weekend I took my photo album over to my brother's house so he and his fiance could see the pictures I've been taking. They're getting married in August - a *very* informal affair, all the arrangements done by friends. Another friend of theirs is going to be the Official Photographer (tm, pat. pen) but they liked my pictures so much they want me to be Official Photographer the Sequel (just in case the OP blows it) Laurie - if *you* were crying out cautions and bewares you can only imagine my distress! ARGH! And I'm not even the OP! And the whole thing is outdoors... <shudder> August! Assuming I survive the heat prostration, I'll have to deal with the light. I've flatly sworn them to eternal forgiveness if I don't produce Greatness. No extra lenses, (or cameras) no filters... just me and my little A95. Laurie - wanna come to Colorado in August? :)

Laurie-

On two of my 35mm-cameras, I have architechural viewing screens. When the camera is horizonal, the vertical view is about 24mm. Looking from side-to-side, there are vertical lines about 3mm in from each end. Framing the subject(s) within these lines, gives one a 24x30 outline - therefore an 4x5 or 8x10.

Does your camera have the option of changing the view screens?

If not, some camera repair shops will remove the screen, draw the 30mm lines, remount the screen in your camera.

Kathy, My parents always told me to "lead by example". (Of course, they also said things like "do as I say, not as I do." Is it any wonder I'm so confused?)

Anyway, back to leading by example. I'll be more than happy to share with you, after the wedding, all the things that don't work. Hopefully, I'll also be able to relate a few things that DID work.

Colorado in August can't possibly be as bad as Florida in August. I'll send you my flight itenerary!

Here's a thought I had last night while shooting pet portraits. As a wedding gift, I could buy a bunch of those disposable cameras. Icould then hand them out to guests, instruct them to shoot the roll and turn it back into me before they leave. Hmmmm. something to think about ;).

Bob, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into it. I doubt my camera's viewfinder can easily be changed. It's my least favorite feature on the camera (D70). It's way too small. I'm still scratching my head wondering why Nikon played such a dirty trick with that thing.