Another new EF "Black Beauty"

jean_moxhet

That's my trun. I'm now member of the "Black Beauty Owner Club" :-)

She arrived by post on Friday and I'm allready in love. It's true, what a beauty, my AE-1s can't stand beside her, the

lovely FTb-New seems old, just the F-1 New loocks like a sibling.

For info, it seems that she's the newest of the forum: s/n 423124 from July 1977 (R732).

Now I'm going out to a country music festival (yep, here in Belgium) where I'll be shooting my first roll.<div>00QJ4j-59999584.jpg.e7bf815a7ba60fb2bb99da76689dd20b.jpg</div>

Hi Jean, yes, your EF is a youngster! Congratulations on your new love, just don´t tell your wife, girlfriend etc, they probably would not understand! I hope the photos on your first roll come out well, and that everything is working as it should. All the best, Andy

Back home with first roll done, nice time with nice camera. Tomorow, I'll be at the photoshop for processing the film.

James, you can find some of other discussion about age determination of Canon material. Basicaly, for cameras, look inside the body's film chamber for an alphanumeric code printed in black ink on the black surface of the film chamber. You may have to hold the camera under a strong light to see it. What you'll see is a date code, possibly something like "U1140F." Smae for the lenses, it's printed on the rear side.

The code is: A = 1960, B = 1961,....T = 1979, U = 1980, and so on up to Z = 1985... and back again to A = 1986... The next 2 numbers tell you what month the camera was made, in this example, November. (the leading zero for the month code is sometimes omitted, so an A-1 with a code of "Y362" would have been manufactured in March, 1984, for instance.) .*Last figures are use less for date and last letter stand for the factory.

Hello, all. this is my first post on photo.net although I've been "lurking" for some time. These (and other threads') comments on the EF has me somewhat intrigued. I purchased my EF in 1980, a brand new "leftover" (they were discontinued in 1976 or so) sitting on a dealer's shelf. Until then, I had been using my father's FT with its 12% selective area metering. I bought the EF for a trip to Japan that summer and used it during the whole trip. I found that I did not like the average metering pattern so as soon as I came home, I bought an F-1n. I still have the EF and use it mainly as a backup camera.

Back in the day, the EF didn't sell too well since, at the time, the body cost about $100 (about 25%) more than its competitors, aperture priority is much easier to understand for beginners, and Canon lenses were more expensive (but not as expensive as Nikon).

So, what intrigues me is that 30years later, I see this mini surge in EF popularity!

BTW, I wish I had found photo.net much, much earlier. I've learned alot in the few months I've been lurking.

I had an EF some years ago. Very nice camera. The only thing I found less than ideal was the exposure lock button. My way of holding a camera is with my left hand under the lens, operating the focusing ring. This grip makes it difficult to press the exposure lock button and as that button has to be held depressed, i.e. it doesn't lock, the whole thing didn't work. ... Unless my EF was faulty of course.

Still a nice camera though. I recently got an F-1 just to satiate my desire for a mechanical metal camera - EOS is good but the F-1 is a different experience.