AN INTERESTING RETINA / EVEREST LINK

<p>Being interested not only in classic cameras, especially those of the 35mm genre, I'm also fascinated in anything to do with the early attempts to climb Mt Everest and anything photographically connected. So while trolling the Net today I found this most interesting and informative article courtesy of the 'Historical Society For Retina Cameras':<br>

http://home.comcast.net/~pam971948/jhsrcphotohistory.pdf<br>

It's not only most informative, but also includes a hell of a lot of related photographs from Ed Hillary and the 1953 Ascent Team, which finally Did The Deed. (Pete In Perth)</p>

<p>Fascinating. A lowly Retina was in great company on that occasion.</p>

<p>I have a Retina IIc that is in virtually mint condition, with case, that I bought a few years ago. This is my second IIc. The first one I owned over 20 years ago, and foolishly sold it. You know, the Retinas are wonderfully made cameras. And with their Schneider lenses, they are fantastic picture takers. A real tribute to German design, engineering and construction. When I look at my Retina today, I try to speculate what it would cost me if I were to buy an identical copy new. As I look at the machining of the metals and the superior fit and finish, I realize that something on the order of $2,000 or perhaps even more would not be out of order for such a finely crafted machine. I think I paid about $70 for the one I own now, which makes it seem all the more incredible. Of course, with the Contax II and Super Ikonta C and Rolleiflex, it was in good company.</p>

<p>Ah yes, fascinating indeed; it's strange to think that conquering Everest is now practically an everyday event. As I recall, Hillary's Retina had done quite some travelling, having spent some time with him in our Southern Alps and going with him to the Antarctic and the South Pole. It's certainly a testimony to the quality and robust build of the Retinas. Great find; thanks <strong>Pete</strong>.</p>

<p><em>A lowly Retina was in great company on that occasion.</em><br>

No doubt selected because of its compact dimensions and the fact that when closed the lens was very well protected against impacts - it very probably was carried in an inside pocket to keep it warm.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys, for your appreciative comments. I still can't work out just where that article from the Retina Historical Society had been hiding itself on the Net, but the older I get the less I understand about the strange world of computers, pixels and such. I actually sent that link on to several friends around the Globe, and none of them had seen it either. So it appears to have been a fairly recent addition on Comcast. <br>

One of those friends has commented that the Contax being held by Team-Leader John Hunt must have been borrowed from somebody else, because he can only ever recall seeing him carrying a Leica 111. Bearing in mind the comparative lumpiness of a Contax vs. that of a Leica, I think he might just be right.<br>

Lastly, for Tony L. - thanks for the good wishes regarding our Perth heat of late. I drove around the south-west coast of WA just before Christmas with my niece who was over here for a month escaping the English winter weather. Augusta and Albany were fine at only 22 - 24C, but on our way back to Perth we detoured via Hyden to see Wave Rock. Bad move! It was around 43C (or 115F in the Old Language) when we got there around 4.30 PM. Pic attached from the Net of said Wave Rock, for those interested. (Pete In Perth)</p><div>00d4Hz-554083584.jpg.be1b5c5c421855c156b4e39b6feae1da.jpg</div>