Amateur Photographer hired for sweet 16, what should I charge!?

tiani_kayden

<p>I'm 16, I have been into photography for about 3 years now, all for fun. My friends tell me that I am really good at it, and I have a website and facebook for my photography "business" -TKI Photography . If you look me up on facebook, you can see my work. <br>

But I've been doing headshots and portraits and photoshoots for a couple years now at no cost. <br>

Last week my friends' classmate wanted to hire me as the photographer for her sweet 16. I am totally down for doing it, however she is asking what my hourly rate is.<br>

What should I charge? I know that I'm amateur so thats why I'm not sure what to charge. I feel bad for charging people because I'm afraid of having such a ridiculous price from a 16 year-old photograher you know?<br>

What do you think the price should be?</p>

<p>don't feel bad for charging if your work is good enough. if you are taking better pictures than the guests attending that party with their point and shoot cameras, then you need to charge.<br>

what are you offering here? pictures on a cd or prints? do you have any estimation of how many pictures she might want?<br>

how about 50 dollars sound?</p>

<p>What do you plan on offering your customer? Are you going to print photos for them, or offer them on a disc, and how many? When I first started out, I did a bit of research on how much photographers in my area charge. I then offered a package for $100 AUD for 1/2 hour to 45 min shoot, editing and 10 images on disc. I increased this soon after once I became more comfortable in what I was doing... I'm only a part time photographer and quite new to the game so I hope what I've said helps! Good luck!</p>

<p>I did a sweet-16 a couple of years ago for $300, but they only wrote $200 on the check so I think I got cheated. The deal we had was shooting only - they provided film and I delivered exposed film at the end of the event. To this day they rave about the photography, but I have never seen the results. It was 3 hours of really hard work, but they fed me well. If you are good and will deliver a good result -- do what Bruce Cahn says to do!</p>

• 5 years later...
<p>Someone asked are photographers really that expensive. Except for one silly $500 response, all the suggestions were ridiculously low. $50 an hour is too low. $300 for the night is right around what I would call very reasonable. For an experienced photographer I would say $350 is very fair for the evening and a CD of the images. Consider that DJs charge $500 for basic work and up to $2000 for all the bells and whistles. $300-350 for photography is quite fair.</p>