Alternatives to bogen 3001/manfrotto 190

milbourn

I use a tripod for landscapes, probably walking around for an hour or so at a time? I am replacing my manfrotto 190/ bogen 3001. i am

thinking of getting the sane thing again as it has been a reasonable compromise for weight and stability etc. However, I was wondering if

there are any new alternatives that would provide less weight or more stability? I Don't mind spending up to around £200. The 190

would be £100. I have looked at the archives but I haven't seen a new answer to this question. Thanking you in advance

<p>Hi Andrew.</p>

<p>I have been using the Manfrotto 190 CXPro3 for several years now. I likewise replaced my Aluminum Bogan/Manfrott 3001 (actually it was the black version, different number). For me the tripod is a godsend. I shot a lot of macro and the tripod gets nice and low. I can use the legs with lenses up to a 300mm/f4.5 or 400mm f5.6. It is very light, I have traveled on airlines extensively with it. I REALLY like the flip levers which have never failed for me and quick to use (I can't say the same thing for my Gitzo legs). Comparing between the 3001 and 190 IMHO the 190 is more stable, but ha may have more to do with the flip locks verses the old screw locks. I hike very long distances with the legs. <br>

There are several versions of the legs, I would imagine you might want the one with the wider head. Again for me, macro is a premium need for me, but it is a stable platform for landscapes too.</p>

<p>I have the older version of the 190 without the guick flip center column, and agree its a good compromise between portability and stability, would like to upgrade to the guick flip column it seems to me this would be useful but will have to wait until I break or lose the one I have</p>

<p>I absolutely echo what Douglas says about the 190CXPRO3. This is a real little honey of a tripod that can get down low or lean over fences. I couple mine with a Markins Q3 ball head to make a very lightweight unit that can even tuck neatly into a 60cm suitcase for air travel (pull the centre column out completely.) Sure, it doesn't quite reach up to my eye level, but with with my 60D having a flip-out screen I no longer care about that!</p>