Air to Air photography

jamie_murray2

Hi everyone,

My wife had bought me a flight in a Rapide in formation with a Spitfire for my birthday! In an effort to not miss this fantastic opportunity I'm

looking to try and get some great shots of the aircraft in flight. I'd appreciate any help with regard to things to think about for air to air, and

aviation photography in general. Also I think I'll probably be shooting through a window so any ideas on how to counter that would be

great. Finally I'd like some advice on a lens to rent for the occasion as I want to make sure I get something with a decent range as I'm not

sure how close the formation will be.

Currently shooting with a D5100 18-55VR and a 50mm 1.4. I'd like to rent something that is crips sharp, top quality lens and was thinking

something like a 24-70 and maybe 70-200 which should give plenty of range on my DX sensor.

Any help kindly appreciated.

Regards.

<p>MM might first get some info from the organisation or pilot. there realy is not much room in a spitfire cockpit, and playing around with loose objects like lenses may be not realy easy.. (i sat in a spitfire, but regretably did not have the chanse to fly in it, , just remember the realy thight space in there..).</p>

<p>Jamie: You already got some good advice, especially the link. I don't do flying much by myself, but I co sometimes, in Vintage ... it's great, as other fellows own the plane, and I just get to shoot, or fly just a little. I have a moment here, so let me share a few 'near earth' or 'near injury' experiences as a shooter. If it is possible, as suggested, talk to the pilot, or organization doing this. It sounds like they have done it before, and hopefully will brief you before you take off. BETTER YET, don't wait for the briefing just before you take to the air. Visit the airfield a week before, look at your plane (not one like it), especially the windscreen, and it's general condition and see if it's all scratched up, dirty, or clean, and asked to be briefed, that is, what's going to happen, what are we going to do, how close will the Spit be etc. Have your chosen gear with you, and check your zoom range on the ground. Let them know you plan to take pictures and ask what they suggest. Almost for sure, if there is an airplane about, there is also someone about who shoots. Keep your neck strap on all the time. At no time set down a lens, filter, flash, or anything, including eyeglasses, or sunglasses, that has the slightest chance of becoming airborne. Secure ALL gear, including a camera bag if you have one. I wrap the strap from mine around my ankle, kind of snug, and I absolutely zip it shut if I get into it, only for a moment. Flash, you say? Sometimes. With a wide angle, and some fill, there are great shots to be had of your pilot at the controls, with the Spit out his front screen. I have been aboard a 6 passenger, as a passenger, not the shooter, talking to others, saw 'photo' mount the flash, but did not 'connect' quickly enough, and off it flashed. Too bad he did not advise the pilot before we took off or just before he fired it. Kind of rough weather anyway, but the pilot, quite surprised, did not know it was a very bright photo flash, and we had a very, very exciting 6-8 seconds. Good thing all the gear was tied down, except for the newspaper onboard. Also, take earplugs. They may give you some, or even mike you up with muffs, but take them anyway. There is a lot of photo advice out there on this subject, lenses and such, VR I and VR II on or off, but almost for sure you will want a polarizer, and almost for sure, the 70-200 will be too much in your situation. Yor camera is 'crop-sensor', yes? I would think quality zooms, and leave the primes at home (unless it's a WA for some inside stuff). This is a classic case, as you might imagine, where it is difficult to 'zoom with your feet'. I think I would opt for Nikon 24-70/2.8 if I had just one, but it has no VR. Shoot a few test shots, high shutter, and look. Then back off the shutter speed until the props tips on the Spit look a little 'smeared'. Could go on with this lots more, as it is one of my favorite activities, for the last 43 years, starting in the USMC at 22. Best of success, and as I believe they said 'back when' as the Spitfires were scrambled, the Squadron CO would say, 'good hunting'.</p>

<p>Wear a black long sleeved shirt, black gloves to cut down reflections. Looking through a viewfinder while flying is the fastest way I've found to get air sick too, at least for me. I'm not sure a polarizer will do much good if you are constantly changing direction.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Jamie,<br>

great gift - very jealous!<br>

Having flown in a Rapide (I'm assuming that it is the de Haviland Dragon Rapide) a couple of years ago at Duxford, the Spit will have to seriously throttle down if it is to keep pace with the Rapide - I swear I saw some birds overtake us.....</p>

<p>So, expect the Spit to be going a bit(!) quicker and to not to be too close. Being air-to-air will help with the shutter speed, but if you can get hold of a 70-200 with VR I think that will be the best option.</p>

<p>You will have room to move around a bit in the Rapide (I think that there are 8 seats apart from the two upfront). Ask the operators for any tips, but the one thing I would ask is whether you could give the bit of glass that you will be shooting thru a bit of a wipe beforehand.</p>

<p>Post some pix on here when you have done!</p>

<p>andyc</p>

<p>Jamie: Other posters have sort of answered some Q's I had. You ARE UK, yes, as I am not aware of operational Spitfires in the US. Thinking over lens choices, it is difficult. If you could take two, I'd go with the original suggested 24-70, and (revised suggestion), the 70-200, because it has VR I and VRII (use both) BTW, they both take the same filter size (polarizer), if you decide to take a polarizer (I would). Here is a shot of the US TBF Avenger (sometimes called The World's Most Deadliest Aircraft) ... not for the pilots, but for those it flew against. It was shot from aboard a Ford Tri-Motor with Sigma (Bigma) 50-500, 1/2000sec @ 210mm (315mm eq). It's the only lens I had with me, the others were in the car about 1/4 mile away. It was go, or no go. I went. You mentioned Spitfire(s), plural, I think, so the ability to include more (wider) would come into play. We had not-so-good skies, broken clouds, haze, and some fog. But, then, opportunity, sometimes, only takes off once. ;-)</p><div>00bmKk-541033184.JPG.d6d43a35d263727f0cc1792ad83857ca.JPG</div>

Thanks all for the responses they are much appreciated.

I'll definitely post some pictures when I'm finished although might be a while as I haven't booked it yet. Andy it is the

Rapide from Duxford ill be in and I did think it'll be interesting for the Spit to keep station, I'm sure they have it Sussed. I'm

a military pilot my self so it'll be a great experience, and nice to enjoy the view instead of working for a change, can't wait!

Regards

<p>Ken: Oops ... had to sign out ... gone 'on duty' until after the July 4th thing, but got your Q relayed. Yes, you are quite right, but it depends on the plexi ... my experience has been, sometimes, yes, sometimes not. Very small thing to add, even a shirt pocket (buttoned down pocket, of course ;-) ), handy to have, if needed, can even be used (sometimes) as ND in a pinch. Adds next to nothing to the 'kit' in weight or space. Off again, hope the only fireworks are those shot off in Celebration and Remembrance . </p>