Af-s nikkor 18-55

michelecastegnaro

Seeking advice here on the lens in title, mounted on a d5000.

It seems I have a synch issue meaning the lens does not interact with the body when it comes to shots, it blocks upon shooting or returns a blurry image. I am told the motherboard of the lens is defective, however cannot fix it in Kenya where I live. Is there any sense in seeking for a new motherboard and if so which one? I saw ebay has some on sale but could not figure which circuitry/MB to pick. Any help appreciated.

Michele

Just buy a new-used lens, it'll be cheaper. But have you tried cleaning the lens and camera contacts first?

Another issue might be the AF/manual switch. So don't throw any money at the lens until you're sure what the problem is.

"I am told the motherboard of the lens is defective,..."

- By whom?

Thanks for the reply. The local Nikon tech did tell this to me after understanding the body was ok. He was binary in his deduction and helped by my queries, however sort of dismissed the possibility of fixing the lens. Since it will not work and cannot be repaired, i was ready to give it a go myself, but would need to know the part number of the motherboard so to get the right one. I also have the schematics manual of the lens.

Looking forward,

Michele

These lenses aren't much designed to be repaired, to put it mildly. Please they're so cheap that repair usually costs more than replacement. So even if you find the electronic board of this lens (which is a big IF), don't count on it being cheaper than getting a lens - especially second hand, and they're plenty available.

Point taken, thanks. Saw they rate about 100-150€, will go for one.

M

You can find unused or barely-used copies of the latest AF-P version of this lens for around $65 on eBay, less for older versions. The trick will be to find a seller who'll ship to Kenya.

You can find unused or barely-used copies of the latest AF-P version of this lens for around $65 on eBay, less for older versions. The trick will be to find a seller who'll ship to Kenya.

Thanks Chulkim, what would be the exact reference of the new lens? Just for not getting something wrong....

Thnaks,

Michele

Thanks Chulkim, what would be the exact reference of the new lens? Just for not getting something wrong....

Thnaks,

Michele

Michele, search for "Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm VR". But always read each listing carefully, because often a seller will list an item under the wrong title. For example, they may list a non-VR lens with "VR" in the title because it was the first match that eBay presented when they were creating the listing. Another common example is a listing with "AI-S" in the title when the lens is just "AI".

Thnaks,

Michele

Alas, the AF-P lens is not compatible with the D5000. See this page. You should look instead for the most recent AF-S version, which can be found by searching for "Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm VR II". Be sure that the pictured lens has a button on the zoom ring to extend the barrel to the shooting position and has "AF-S" printed on the label. The AF-P lens looks almost identical except for the label.