AF-D lens on an EM body

brian_bahn

<p>I searched for this but am not having any luck. The term "EM" does not play well in search mode, I get a lot of "them". LOL.</p>

<p>Anyhow, I picked up an EM for 10 dollars last night and am curious if any of my current lenses I use on my D300 will be compatible. I have 85 1.8 AF-D, 80-200 AF-D and one I am really wanting to try is my Tokina 12-24 f/4(non af-s).I realize the 12-24 will vignette at anything lower than 18mm.</p>

<p>I really want a different manual focus body because I know the EM isn't all that(holding out for a 50 dollar FE, FM, FM2, etc..). I saw it on CL and figured for 10 bucks it may be OK for a little while. It has the 50 1.8 E series lens and a super cheap DeJur 135 2.8 lens. A couple of generic close up filters I may play with.</p>

<p>AF, AF-D, and AF-S lenses should work fine on the EM, though of course you will have to focus manually, and other electronic functions like VR won't work. G lenses would be pretty worthless on any manual focus camera, since you would have no way to control the aperture.</p>

<p>Nikon EM is an A mode (aperture priority) only camera but works fine with any Nikkor lenses (except for PC-Nikkors) that have aperture rings (AF or MF). Tokina 12-24 is designed for the smaller digital DX format which is why it causes vignetting on a film body. Also, I don't think you can get the correctly exposed images with this Tokina.</p>

<p>Any lens with an aperture ring (except old Non-AI lenses) will work with the EM. I know for a fact that the 85 and the 80-200 with work, I don't recall off the top of my head if the 12-24 has an aperture ring. Any new digital lens (G in Nikon's terminology) will only work at minimum aperture on the EM. Just unlatch the ring (either a switch or a push button, depending on how old the lens is), and shoot away.</p>

<p>Last November I found one with the 50mm/1.8 series E lens and case in a Salvation Army store for $8. I figured it probably was a piece of cr*p, but for 8 bucks, who knows. So anyway it sat until December when I loaded it up with some film and went out shooting in different lighting situations to see if the meter could really do the aperture priority measurements worth a darn. Much to my surprise, the pictures turned out crisp and contrasty (example of a local burn off below). I later shot with some of my AF-D lenses and was just as delighted. Since I don't have any G lenses, no problem, but I've also tried a couple of Tamrons in the Nikon Adaptall mount, and again, everything comes out surprisingly well. Everybody I spoke with strongly disparaged this little lightweight camera, but I decided to keep it around for some street shooting next time I head into the city.</p><div>00Wxjr-264397584.jpg.bd2f33283ade8586a60d741b776b2c9e.jpg</div>