Adobe Lightroom issues for some customers.

A very good reason not to trust cloud services for your file storage and backup needs. Canon also recently lost customer images at their cloud service.

No one else cares really about your images but you, nor can the responsibility for keeping them safe and properly backed-up be outsourced.

• Like 3

A very good reason not to trust cloud services for your file storage and backup needs. Canon also recently lost customer images at their cloud service.

No one else cares really about your images but you, nor can the responsibility for keeping them safe and properly backed-up be outsourced.

I agree. These cloud services seem to be pushed on us with devices that have barely enough drive space to hold an operating system and a couple favorite pieces of production software, let alone space for image files. And unless you go with a desktop, fewer and fewer ports to connect external devices. Even laptops with large screens are harder to find, and little 250 giig drive. The cloud is about making money, charge for storage, charge for a data stream service. You are at the mercy of an internet connection and dependability of a cloud provider. I have a box of archive hard drives, maybe not perfect but I know where they are. I can only hope the new computers will be able to work with these devices in time, or will these too, go the way of my Beta and VHS VCR tapes, reel to reel and cassette tapes.

Cheers, Mark

A very good reason not to trust cloud services for your file storage and backup needs.

Except that the cloud storage isn't what failed. From what I read, the only iOS users who lost data were those whose data had not yet been synced to the Adobe cloud service. Adobe posted this:

This affected customers using Lightroom mobile without a subscription to the Adobe cloud. It also affected Lightroom cloud customers with photos and presets that had not yet synced to the Adobe cloud.

No assets in the Lightroom cloud were lost or are at risk.

I think the larger moral of the story is that one should ALWAYS have things backed up--either locally or to cloud storage--as soon as possible. My own strategy is to use local backup immediately and let a cloud backup run in the background as a second source.

• Like 3