Additional all round lens

pat_scott1

I own a canon EOS 550D but I am an inexperienced user. Looking to upgrade kit lens to a good all round general one that I can take on

holiday Looking at the EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM and the STM version of the same lens. Was unsure whether my 550D would

work well with the new USM model. Please can anyone advise or suggest another alternative. Thanks

<p>I'd seriously consider the Canon EF-S 15-85mm lens (<a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/465-canon_1585_3556is">link</a>). No long-range zoom is perfect (nor any other lens, for that matter), but the 15-85 is a superb compromise whose slight faults are easily corrected, when necessary, in post-processing.</p>

<p>I have the older version and it is the mainstay of my APS-C cameras.</p>

<p>I have been using a Tamron 18-270mm VC for several years as my traveling lens with my 60D and have been very pleased with it. It has it's failings but as cheap (£250) all rounder with image stabilisation (VC) I think it is worthwhile having.<br /> Tamron have also recently brought out a 16-300mm VC at a slightly higher price (£322) which gives a slightly wider range.</p>

<p>Being inexperienced you may not get this at all. To me right now the best all around lens for the money out there is the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 EX DC lens. It has a constant 2.8 maximum aperture all the way through. This is the focal length range that you will use the most. It has professional grade image quality and stabilization that will allow you to take pictures without camera shake causing unsharpness. Combine that lens with the excellent Canon 55-250mm IS STM lens and you have coverage from 17 to 250mm with excellent image quality in a small compact kit much better than any of the do all be all 18 to 250/300mm compromise monsters. Just my never humble opinion, good luck!</p>

<p>For a couple of years I'm EF-S 18-135 STM user, and must say I'm more than happy with it. To be honest - for last two years 99,9% of my photos were taken with this lens.<br>

Optical imperfections (distorsion, chromatic aberration, vigneting) can be easily corrected with DPP during RAW processing.</p>

<p>i also recommend the 18-135 stm, very sharp and great color rendition......i've had one for two weeks and couldn't be happier with it's performance......you can pick these up for $175-225 in fairly brand new condition from people that have gotten them in kits and don't need or want the lens.....a steal at those prices IMO</p><div>00dyhA-563448484.jpg.70bfd23c5829539bc673d5b8f575ed80.jpg</div>