Adding Scratches to Negatives

A while back while loading a roll of 35mm infrared film into a reel for

developing, the film snagged and when developed, was full of scratches. As it

turns out---the prints made from the negatives are very "atmospheric" as the

shots are of old cars and the like. How can I routinely add "random" scratches

to my negatives? I assume this is not so easy to do in Photoshop if I decide to

scan the negs....

Develop an unexposed roll of film. Scratch it the same way. Scan several frames. Use one or two as layers in Photoshop (and mess with the layer modes.)

You don't get a more realistic scratching effect than that.

I actually saw an exhibit by a guy whose name I can't recall. Every print had serious

scratches. As it turned out...he was in the darkroom trying to print an image ...dropped

the negative and accidentally stepped on it and walked a step or two until he realized that

it was on the bottom of his shoe. He printed it anyway and then decided to put together a

whole exhibit of scratched negatives(prints). He put each one on the floor before he

printed it and stepped on it with his shoe...dragged it a bit and then printed the negative.

His images left a lot to be desired in my opinion, but he was hailed as a photographic

genius by the local art critic for his "creativity"... when in actuality he was an idiot who

walked around with his negative on his shoe before realizing he had stepped on it....and

then decided to print it anyway.

If you want real scratches...it doesn't get any more real than that. It's a heck of a lot easier

and quicker than the photoshop route.

....and ultimately who knows....you too may end up being hailed as a photographic

innovator too.

There's a photographer on photo.net who does incredible work with altered negatives...emil schildt. His portfolio is here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=224043

He used to have a web page called Kill Your Darlings that described his methods. Someone posted a copy on APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/34416-kill-your-darlings.html

Great stuff!

• 8 months later...