Adapters to Canon EOS

ann_overland

<p>Hi guys, I am entering the Canon world, and I am starting out as a complete novise. I might be needing some help along the way in the beginning. My first question is about adapters. I have found a couple of links:</p>

<p>1) <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZjCl">Photo.net</a><br /> 2) <a href="http://technoclopedia-canon-eos.com/index.htm?/frames/lens_accessories_mount_adapters.htm">Technoclopedia</a></p>

<p>Is Novoflex or Fotodiox still the best way to go if I want to use Nikon lenses on Canon EOS bodies?<br>

<br /> Which ones should I be using with older Olympus and Minolta lenses on Canon EOS bodies?</p>

<p>Ann, I use a Novoflex to adapt Canon FD lenses to Sony NEX mount. I couldn't be more happy with the quality and results. That said, I'm sure the Chinese produced version provides a significant enough cost savings to experiment with.</p>

<p>I buy cheap eBay ones, and haven't personally have had any 'fail' on me, but they are so cheap that I do tend to buy enough to have one for every lens I want to adapt.<br /> Despite internet flutter about incorrect register, etc. on the cheap ones, I have never got one that didn't work just fine.</p>

<p>Rarer mounts may cost a little more. Fotodiox does have nice ones, in two different grades. If you were only using one and switching it around a lot, the pricier versions might be worth the difference.</p>

<p>Oh, and I'd skip the "focus confirmation" chips - they are just cheaply made pirate circuitry, and-if not glued on exactly right-they can, as I can confirm from personal experience (<a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Jb4x">link</a>), damage the camera circuitry.</p>

<p>If you've never done manual focus, Google and you will find some tutorials.</p>

<p>By the way, Bob's excellent post on the adapters was a key factor in my deciding to go to EOS when I switched from film (Nikon) to digital.</p>

<p>John, you must really change out your lenses a LOT to wear out an adapter!</p>

<p>I, too, have just used the cheapo Chinese adapters available on ebay. They're fine. They're even better if they come in black (at least the side that faces the sensor), and if they don't, you can always improve them with a sharpie. Lens register distances are often slightly inaccurate, but they err towards too close/thin by a fraction of a fraction of a hair, so that you can reliably get infinite focus.</p>

<p>None of my eBay adapters has ever failed. However with a couple of Pentax Screw mount adapters on certain lenses they have been fractionally too thick, making precise focus at infinity a problem. It's easily fixed by thinning them slightly by rubbing them on a flat sheet of sandpaper. You could use a surface grinder or lathe to thin them down, but the amount of material I need to remove was so small that the sandpaper worked just fine.</p>

<p>If the mount is too thin, you can adjust the register with layers of scotch tape!</p>

<p>My eBay sourced "focus confirmation chips" have also been fine (though others have had problems with them).</p>

<p>I'd avoid any adapter with optics in them. That includes all adapters for Canon FD and Minolta MD mounts with infinity focus.</p>