Academic Critiques?

wood

I haven't really thought this through, but I am throwing it out here anyway.

Would it be possible to involve the academic community in critiquing photos on

PN? Students attending photography classes all over the world could, as part

of a course requirement(?), critique a certain number of images either as an

individual or as a group (entire class). Philip or some PN representative

could send out invitations or post an open request on PN and other relevant

sites. Obviously many of these students might be inexperienced but they

could at least provide some feedback on the technical aspects of a photo,

assuming they have had some basic instruction first. Any thoughts?

<p>

My reason for posting this is an attempt to look at options for increasing the

number of critiques given. Too many images are ignored when posted in the

Critique Forum. I am guilty of passing by images that don't spark my interest.

Something like this seems interesting... I'd need to think about this a little more... But imo, the real goal is the one you stated yourself: "increasing the number of critiques given". So what would be great imo is to deal with this very broad issue in a separate thread. There are many ways to increase the number of posted critiques, and they are all good imo, since the goal is good.

The fault with the premise above is that many photos do not warrant a critique. In art school,

you have your students critique each others work, or if you go outside, the work of exhibiting

artists. There would be few people on PN that would/could garner any attention from an art/

photography school. That is not to denegrate the work here, but as a teacher, you don't want

a hit and miss experience, you want something you know will have substance and value.

The premise is not geared towards teachers or other "academics" doing the critiquing. The idea is for the students, presumably beginning or intermediate level, to do the rating. Since we have the entire spectrum of levels here on PN, even advanced students might benefit from such an excercise.

IMO the lack of critiques is mostly due to the lack of a specific question from the requester. If someone asks a question that I know the answer to I will respond even if the photo doesn't interest me. Look at the critique request forum and you will be hard pressed to find five legitimate questions. Most just say "comments welcome".

Perhaps many of the photos posted for critique do not show much effort on the photgraphers part, but perhaps a simple comment to that effect will steer him/her towards a more thoughtful effort. Everyone who posts photos for critique is looking for feedback of some kind. Perhaps instituting a mandatory critiquing approach is the solution?

"Everyone who posts photos for critique is looking for feedback of some kind."

Ah, but how can you tell the difference between "I'd like some help" and "Don't you like my latest!"

As mentioned earlier, if a specific question was required, that would help.

. . . that and segregating images uploaded for consideration for site prominence from those uploaded that want improvement.

Regarding this segregation Carl is refering to, there is a very simple way to achieve it, which is already in use on photopoints: the photographer can indicate the level of criticism he wants. We could imagine a way to do this here, and even a way to improve on what exists elsewhere.

John, I can assure you that asking a question in a request for critique is by no means a guarantee that you'll get even one poster to answer it.

Which is exactly why Photo.net needs to get back to a comments culture, instead of a ratings-only (in-)culture.

And I agree with Robert: every bad picture deserves a comment assuming the poster wanted to improve his photography.

<p><i>Since we have the entire spectrum of levels here on PN, even advanced students might benefit from such an excercise.</i></p>

<p>My recollection of RIT was that weekly critiques were on Friday. I can't imagine any serious photography students having time for this. The not so serious ones might, but you'd have to catch them before they fire up a second bong bowl.</p>

"Obviously many of these students might be inexperienced but they could at least provide some feedback on the technical aspects of a photo, assuming they have had some basic instruction first. Any thoughts?" I think it would be pretty funny to see what some slacker Art students have to say about photos here on PN. I could skip watching "Leave it to Beaver" reruns that's for sure.

Marc G. I am sure that asking a specific question does not automatically get a reply. It does let the viewer know that you are looking to improve and not just looking for compliments. Unless a photo really impresses me I will only comment or suggest improvement if a question is asked or I am familiar with the photographer and know they are open to opinions. I believe others are probably similarly inclined, so you would increase, though not guarantee, responses on your photos by asking a specific question.

I am glad to have read this post and comments. I have always wondered about the text accompanying requests for critiques. My initial thoughts were that some were trying to hard to "convince" everyone to leave comments and critiques on their specific request. I thought that the mere fact that you submit "a request for critique" is enough, and I myself is guilty of sometimes only making a few ">>>" because the system forces you to write something.

I regard most of you as the most knowledgeable on this site, and therefore I think I was wrong in my approach.

My question is this: do the majority of you agree that it will be better when an amateur like me submit a photo for critique, to specifically indicate on what I would like it to be critiqued, e.g. the use of light, the angles, the composition, the different point of view, or even the use of some alternative method?

Thank you.

JH de Beer