Abstract Stag photo

shelleyburger

I'm studying it hard and not really reacting. I try to identify the elements (ibis, mule-deer ears, another deer, a waterfront scene and other obfuscated features), in hopes that they'll lead me somewhere. Without a context, I'm not "getting it." I look for a mythical connection and can't make one. The waterfront is proportionally the clearest of the layered images. Is there something to do with antlered and horned animals?

I like the colors and overall feel, but not enough to try harder to interpret. Is there a context that might help the viewer, or is it supposed to speak on its own?

I'm studying it hard and not really reacting. I try to identify the elements (ibis, mule-deer ears, another deer, a waterfront scene and other obfuscated features), in hopes that they'll lead me somewhere. Without a context, I'm not "getting it." I look for a mythical connection and can't make one. The waterfront is proportionally the clearest of the layered images. Is there something to do with antlered and horned animals?

I like the colors and overall feel, but not enough to try harder to interpret. Is there a context that might help the viewer, or is it supposed to speak on its own?

Thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate the time you took to study it. I agree with you, the message/context is not clear to the viewer. That was my concern. I do have my own "message" but am not inclined to have to explain it to the viewer, as I would want the image to speak for itself. Here is another that I think speaks more clearlybutterfly2.thumb.jpg.9eeb36dc9b82965278d00a21b42995c6.jpg

The second photo works better for me than the first, but not because of a more coherent message, something I don't think abstract photos need or even want to have. I think abstract photos are most interesting when they have visual coherence, but they are not statements. Now I do agree that because the first one has recognizable enough elements, there would be a tendency for viewers to want to put together some sort of narrative and one doesn't really emerge for me. I don't find a narrative emerging in the second one as much as forms and layers that pique my imagination. The butterfly is clear enough, so in that sense it's not an abstract per se, but there is certainly abstraction operating in a starring role. I see a kind of Kafka-esque image here, less threatening though. It feels like a transformation of sorts, not just because "butterfly" suggests it but because the juxtaposition of forms does.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

The second photo works better for me than the first, but not because of a more coherent message, something I don't think abstract photos need or even want to have. I think abstract photos are most interesting when they have visual coherence, but they are not statements. Now I do agree that because the first one has recognizable enough elements, there would be a tendency for viewers to want to put together some sort of narrative and one doesn't really emerge for me. I don't find a narrative emerging in the second one as much as forms and layers that pique my imagination. The butterfly is clear enough, so in that sense it's not an abstract per se, but there is certainly abstraction operating in a starring role. I see a kind of Kafka-esque image here, less threatening though. It feels like a transformation of sorts, not just because "butterfly" suggests it but because the juxtaposition of forms does.

Thank you again for your comment. Very helpful to me.

different. I like it. Even tho it looked more like an antelope to me, I saw Deer in headlights. and wondered How do deer see? so I googled it and learned a bit.

Thank you for your comment. I think it is an antelope (was on a safari-type adventure and I don't know my animals ...) but love that you saw "deer a in the headlights"

• Like 1

Shelley, I tend to like the second more, for two reasons. (1) In my opinion the subject in the first is centered. Mind you, the rule of 3rds is not gospel, but I find that the centered composition doesn't really do much for the image. (2) The predominance of jet black shadows simply takes over the image. The second also has a lot of shadow but the presence of midtones and highlights balance it. Finally, I prefer the human subject to the aniumal.

I took a quick look at all the photos posted in your portfolio,. Aside from this, your OP mentioned that the 2 images for which you wanted feedback were composited. FWIW, I also engage in compositing.

Shelley, I tend to like the second more, for two reasons. (1) In my opinion the subject in the first is centered. Mind you, the rule of 3rds is not gospel, but I find that the centered composition doesn't really do much for the image. (2) The predominance of jet black shadows simply takes over the image. The second also has a lot of shadow but the presence of midtones and highlights balance it. Finally, I prefer the human subject to the aniumal.

I took a quick look at all the photos posted in your portfolio,. Aside from this, your OP mentioned that the 2 images for which you wanted feedback were composited. FWIW, I also engage in compositing.

Thanks so much. I really overlooked the jet black shadows. I took a quick look t your most recent abstracts and they are very engaging. Very enjoyable to view.

• Like 1

I sort of "get" the concept of compositing imagery to create art, and both your images seem intended as such. Of the two, I like the original best, tho I admit not being totally enamored of either. Honestly, for my own part, this is one instance where a title might actually be helpful in leading me towards whatever your vision or message is. To hazard a wild guess, I see some sort of conflict between humanity and nature- or possibly harmony. To my eye, it could go either way. Both seem rather dark however, so perhaps the "message" isn't one of positivity? Edited by Ricochetrider

• 3 weeks later...