A YouTube Comparison D800 vs. 5d Mark III

dennisgg

<p>Thanks for posting this link - funny video. Actually, the Canon rocked at high ISO in video mode. The rolling shutter was a wash. The Nikon edged out the canon in video sharpness. The other surprise was just how well the Canon held up in the deep image zoom of a still. I figured that was where the Canon would really suck yet it did quite well. For me other than the 36MP for ubber printing / cropping I'm thinking these two cameras are fairly similar.</p>

<p>But these tests (including very controlled ones) rarely address the focusing system difference between the two. So I'm now wondering does the D800 have an equally good / better focusing system? I always thought the higher end Nikons had better focusing systems than the Canons. Did Canon just catch up to Nikon or is the 5D3's focusing system actually better? I know better is subjective but I'd love to hear a general comparison of the two.</p>

<p>For example, given similar lenses and conditions would the 5D3's focusing system be better for low light event photography (sharp focus on eyes / faces in low light) or would the D800 be better or are they now basically equal. Same goes for sports (sharp focus on fast moving objects in servo modes) Is one clearly better than the other?</p>

<p>Good decision David! Besides, if there REALLY is a "5Dx" in the future, it might be even more of a rationale to bide your time. I too, read all the latest dope on the new III and decided that I'd better (for now) be plenty happy enough with my 5DII. The only temptation of the new III, for me, were the exceedingly usable 2+ higher ISO's.</p>

<p>I know the III is better, and I'd love the improved AF and, more importantly for me, the upgraded metering. But the image quality is only marginally better, and that's the driver for me. The II is still "better" than me, so I'll stay put and see what Canon introduces, if anything, at Photokina.</p>

<p>In the meantime, I'll continue with the II and a Panny GX1. Love the GX1!</p>