"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is

like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk."

What do you suppose this means? Composition and image design, for

some, is not natural and intuitive, and for many, it doesn't

just 'happen' one day.

If he meant that we shouldn't copy the practices of others and adhere

to those "guidelines," I agree with that. But if he's saying that

learning about composition is an unworthy way for a photographer to

spend his time, I'd have to strongly disagree with that.

Your thoughts?

Well, the definition of consulting, according to Merriam Webster: 1 : to have regard to : CONSIDER

2 a : to ask the advice or opinion of <consult a doctor> b : to refer to <consult a dictionary>

intransitive senses

I would believe the "to have regard to" would probably be the right meaning for what he was trying to say, if this was the case, then he was basically saying that to much worrying about or doing to much preparation could spoil the shot!

Maybe try to just keep things natural.

I could be wrong though. :o)

I don't need to consult a dictionary to write this post, though my mother tongue is spanish. I just know english, and I don't need a conscious effort to traduct my thoughts from spanish to english according to a set of rules; they flow out in the correct language according to the situation.

If you need to consult 'composition rules' before taking a photo, you just don't know composition.

To me the word "rules" offers one key to the meaning of this quote. A rule says "do this" and "don't do that." For example, one common "composition rule" is to put the focal point (center of interest) of the image at 1/3 of the way in from one side and 1/3 of the way up or down from the bottom or top. If, instead, you UNDERSTAND the visual impact of placing the focal point in different places then you can decide how best to compose a particular image for best effect, rather than following a "rule" that could easily lead you astray.

Aside from what Paul said, I think he also implies that one should--just as the laws of gravity will apply whether you've studied them or not--just go take the picture. Your eye will see and you will compose, regardless of how one decides the copmosition.

If it is any help, when I saw a recent showing of Weston's work during the time I was taking a photography class, I noticed that he broke every rule I was learning at the time. Rule of thirds? More like rule of 100s for him, as the person who was the subject of the photograph positioned like a border of the image.

The bottom line, though, is that it was an amazing photograph with a remarkable composition. It was just stunning. Broke every rule of in any photography text I have ever seen, and he would definitely have received an "F" in my photography class.

So, either he disregarded all the rules, or more likely like the old cliche, he knew them well enough to break them!

In my own view, the rules are important, and can be a very helpful guide. And, breaking them just for its own sake often results in photographs that are just a mess. But, at the same time, when you do it right, rule breakers can be among the most exciting images of all!

Does that, um, shed any light?

People think that the principles of composition (as in this example) are just a set of arbitrary 'rules' that somebody came up with during a slow Sunday afternoon. They also are under the delusion that they may ignore those principles anytime they want...after all <insert the name of respected photographer> ignored them...so *I* can too!

For one thing, the principles of composition are not arbitrary and they pre-date photography by hundreds of years. They are there as maps for people travelling in unfamiliar territory...other people have explored the country before and have already made all the mistakes so you would not have to hit the same dead-ends as they did.

I'm not sure what makes people think that they just naturally have all of the collective experience that image makers (in painting as well as photography) have accumulated over the centuries.

But what about the great masters...they ignored the rules? No, they didn't.

When you were first learning to drive, you were very aware of the complexities of driving. You had to think about everything you did...but, there came a time when you no longer had to consciously think about each move. You didn't throw away the 'rules' of the road...you don't just drive anywhere and anyway you like...instead you have 'internalized' the rules and don't have to think about them.

This is what the photographic Masters have done. They don't have to think about the 'rules' of composition anymore...they have internalized them so that they KNOW a good composition when they see it through the viewfinder. It may look to an outside as if they aren't following any 'rules' but that is not true. They simply understand what makes a good picture so well...they know how to use their gear so fully....that they make it look SO simple. We have no idea of the complexities that are going on in their minds when they look through the viewfinder...it has become second nature to them and THAT is why they are great and we are still learning.

Thanks very much for your answers and participation, folks.

Photography, at least my understanding of it, is a visual art. We speak on visual terms. We tell visual stories. Our native language is the visual language. It would seem silly to not learn a language before we attempt to speak it. Successful grab shots only come around so often!

This works the other way, also. If we study composition and image design, it can help to give us a greater appreciation of others' techniques and practices and greatly enhance the viewing experience. I know I love nothing more than to study a thoughtfully composed, super complex composition. I love it. It can be very much like reading a story, or unfolding a mystery and it is highly enjoyable for me.

Thanks again - I appreciate your insights very, very much.

Gloria

...have no idea what Weston meant...but to me he meant IMMEDIATELY before taking the photograph. That's not to say that you don't study, you don't learn all these rules. But you learn them, just like you did walking when you were 1 year old..............then after hundreds of times of purposely set out to walk, now you just do it. Same with pics, after hundreds of times of purposely setting out to create a compositional arrangement in your viewfinder.............now you just do it. Stopping to consider those rules, after having taken thousands of pics, would only get in the way of your "vision". Those are rules that "get you started", then your own vision takes over (guided by rules that you just know now). You automatically set something to the "thirds rule" if appropriate, you automatically put it in the center, if appropriate, you automatically tilt the cam, if appropriate. I'm sure by the time Weston said that he was just integrating about a hundred steps of exposure, composition, light, angle, perspective..........and getting there seemingly at the same time he saw the image to begin with.

That's why experienced photographers say forget the rules.......all of the rules, and all of the exceptions to the rules, are considered in the blink of an eye in their minds, along with all the exposure, lighting, perspective, angle, etc...........to stop and actually "think" about this process would only slow them down and get in the way.

Try thinking about ALL of the steps of how to walk.......you won't make it three steps with out losing your balance....heh...thinking about it will only get in the way.

The Parker quote says it all :-). I love it! The "rules" are there to give you a general idea about what often looks good and where, but there comes a point where tossing it all out the window and simply feeling the shot is the best way. Odd thing is that often my compositions appear very rules based, when I didn't give composition a second thought durring the shoot...

I am afraid you are all wrong! Another quote by Weston gives it all away, sorry that I cannot find it, but I will paraphrase: "composition is the definition given to what artists just see naturally by people who cannot see it".

in other words he is saying if ya ain't got it, ya ain't got it. and if you do then you didn't really have to learn it.

Anyone have the exact quote?

Seems to me he's just saying quit overthinking it, just relax, go out and do it. Once you've got the basic principles down you need not do a big review before you start shooting. Meryl beat me to the driving analogy. Now, reviewing that technical manual on how the camera works on the other hand...

Eloquently stated, Meryl: those who "fly by the seat of their pants" without regard for what has been refined over the centuries are like all who fail to learn from history -- doomed to repeat their failures. If we were to create art for our own enjoyment exclusively, the rules probably wouldn't matter. But, if we intend for others to understand what we're expressing, we have to speak their language, in this case those pesky rules of composition.

However, once absorbed, their use becomes intuitive and pictures just don't look right when they're carelessly ignored. I use the term "carelessly," because in the hands of an accomplished artist, the rules can certainly be bent to great effect.

What I think Weston meant was simply that you don't drive a car through traffic with a driving manual in your lap: you absorb the rules of composition and then apply them with an educated eye.

• 1 month later...

i didn't take a long time to read all of the responses to your question.... so if i am repeating somebody else.....

what weston meant is that you do not need to know any rules in order to photograph. you photograph by instinct.

in parallel, you do not need to know the laws of physics (gravity) in order to walk. you do it by instinct and learn to walk as a young child by trail and error and observing others.

the same can be done in photography.