A Unirex Rejuvenated

<p>I know these these leaf-shutter Topcons are not <em>real</em> Topcons, so far as the Topcon aficionados are concerned; the Topcon RE Super, or Besler Topcon Super D as it was known in the US, is the one we all aspire to. But these little leaf-shutter Topcons with their range of Topcor UV lenses deserve their place in Topcon history, with about half a dozen different models produced in the years 1963 through 1976. Many major manufacturers produced leaf-shutter SLR cameras, but few produced models with fully interchangeable lenses, the most common practice being the provision of supplementary lenses or partial lens replacements, such as used in the Zeiss Ikon Contaflexes. The rather ingenious and somewhat frail Kowa leaf-shutter SLR cameras were introduced with a comprehensive range of interchangeable lenses, and are probably the best Japanese examples of the genre. Other European manufacturers, such as Agfa and Voigtlander, created some seriously expensive, complicated and heavy designs to do what the Unirex does in a much cheaper and more user-friendly form.</p>

<p>The Unirex is a similar but slightly later camera than the Uni that Donnie featured, the models being introduced in 1963 and 1969 respectively. Here's a pic of the two cameras together; the Uni shows more of the typical Topcon square and somewhat "boxy" construction, while the Unirex has slightly softer lines.</p><div>00cLE4-545121184.jpg.e8bee51f0a8941614214df80f2f8f5d8.jpg</div>

<p>It was one of the earliest SLR cameras to allow full-aperture exposure metering with a choice of center-weighted average or spot metering, selected by a switch beneath the rewind knob. Partially retaining the Uni's metering mirror system for spot metering, the Unirex uses a more conventional twin-CDS cell set up for average readings, measuring reflected light off the viewing screen. Powered by the defunct PX-625 1.35v cell, the results seems accurate enough when using the modern EPX625 battery, allowing use of the Unirex's shutter-preferred AE facility. Shutter speeds run from "B" to 1/500th with the very quiet Seiko SLV-G shutter, and full manual over-ride is possible. This example is fitted with an excellent 50mm UV Topcor f/2 lens, rumoured to be seething with radioactive glass, in this case a Gauss-type construction of six elements in four groups.</p><div>00cLE7-545121384.jpg.892287ebe420c92327aac5a0bf013ea0.jpg</div>

<p>A cheaper 4-element 50mm f/2.8 standard lens was available, along with 28mm f/4, 35mm f/3.5, 100mm f/4, 135mm f/4 and 200mm f/4, quite a reasonable range of lenses. I have the 35mm and the 135mm, and they are of good quality. One rather archaic feature of the camera is the necessity to set an index for the exposure metering, dependent on the maximum aperture of the lens in use.</p><div>00cLE8-545121484.jpg.d7f4e8b169f8a01cda6399d506a69927.jpg</div>

<p>Overall, The Unirex is a solid and handsome camera with a particularly bright and clear viewfinder, with a microprism spot surrounded by an effective fine-focus ring. The camera has an overall feeling of durability and precise construction, and everything works as planned on my copy. I post a few sample images below, all from the 50mm f/2 lens, unless otherwise tagged. The colour shots are from Fuji Superia 200 and the B&W from Kentmere 100, all scanned on an Epson V700 Photo.</p><div>00cLE9-545121584.jpg.358d02239aea13f7ff947e21f602b262.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Very nice results Rick. I'm one of those Topcon aficionados you refer to (RE Super, Super D/DM, ect.), but I've always admired the Unirex. I may have to try one some day, especially since excellent photos are possible with them, as you've so ably proven.</p>

<p>Love number two! I can't say that I know much about Topcon as a brand and have never seen one in the fairs and secondhand shops I have visited locally but I really like the clean lines. I wouldn't mind trying one out. Thanks for the images and the information Rick.</p>