A trip with my Pony Premo No. 4

So I had the privilege of taking a weekend trip to Star Island a few weeks ago, and decided to go fully antiquarian on camera equipment. I brought my Rochester Optical Company 4x5 Pony Premo No. 4. No vernier focus, so probably an early one from about 1900.

I brought a partly used pack of Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional TXP523, which probably expired about 1980, in a film pack adapter. I brought 5 plate holders, 10 Kodak film sheaths, and a slightly expired (2015) box of TMAX-400 film.

The lens is a Rapid Rectilinear, in a Victor shutter with air-piston timing. The aperture scale is in "U.S." units. (Just remember that 16 is 16.) Shutter speeds from 1 to 1/100.

Tripod is a reasonably beefy Manfrotto, probably overkill for such a light camera.

Here's a picture of the camera in our room.

62435843_10216721668228183_7762198581930360832_n.jpg.6f917dba2c0934a905d3905abebf28af.jpg

• Like 2

Great quality from the old Pony Premo, John. Considering the age and design of the lens, I think your results are excellent. I particularly like the "Evening Porch" and the "Chapel Path and Ocean" images. Posts like these get me hankering for a step back to larger formats... Thanks for posting.

I usually assemble my posts to this forum using the "More Options" panel, and as I recall there's a "Thumbnail or Full Frame" option there, though I've never used the thumbnail option as I size my images to fit the page.

• Like 1