A Recent... For Your Consideration, Please

Ricochetrider

Hi everyone.

Yeah so car & (motor)bike shows are "back" in earnest and I've shot a few rolls of film at multiple events. Work is *also* back, or coming back, and that means I have to rearrange my lifestyle to once again include that (rather unfortunate but necessary) routine! I guess all this fun began in April and wow how do we get to coming in to mid summer so quickly already.

Some or maybe most of you know that I go to these events tho and usually there are many photographers also shooting. Last thing I'd ever want is to come away with the exact same shots of the exact same stuff as everyone else- one thing I do is dial it down, often taking detail or close up shots of things that catch my eye. This photo was taken using my Hasselblad 500cm and the lovely 250mm Sonnar lens. While this is, in effect, a lens probably meant for shooting things from a distance, I've been using ti to shoot detail shots- "long distance close ups" as I call them, and the lens just shines in this scenario! I shoot it wide open, I have not once dialed it down to anything other than its widest aperture. Of all my lenses for this camera, I have say I might appreciate this one above all others. Any way, hopefully this yik-yak isn't 100% redundant, if so, sorry!

I've been posting my shots around the forum here so maybe you've seen this stuff already. I won't bore you with endless photos of motorcycles and cars, but I do have a couple I'll run through Critiques to see what you all think of what I'm doing these days. And with that, here's the first, shot on Ilford Pan F Plus 50- a film I just love for 120 format. Maybe you also know I shoot in whatever light is happening, so not always ideal- as this photo, for example was taken in brilliant mid day sunshine, actually perfect for a slower film but not perfect for photography in most other ways.

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

p2626177458-5.jpg

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 1

Well after a while with no replies or critiques, maybe I need to ask for critiques of this?

OK, here's a critique! To me, the full color is more informative, enabling a car aficionado to identify what's 'under the hood' more readily. However, with the vehicle in the bg, its a bit too busy; a viewer can be distracted. The monochrome image is superior from an artistic point of view. Although the blower still is visible, it's the radiator with its pattern, temperature gauge (?), and ornate cap that draws and keep's a viewer's attention.

• Like 2

I like b&w version more, nice composition and 3D effect, the contrast is too strong to me, I see the right frame border is too close to make the radiator grid parallel to the lower frame border.
  • Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.