A Freebee LLC

Some time ago I bought a couple of Meyer Domiplan lenses from a seller in UK Ebay. One of them had a

malfunctioning diaphragm. I messaged the seller and asked him if he had any spare parts for this lens that I

could use and repair. He was prompt in response, “Oh you do repair things! I will send you a Praktica LLC…see if

you can repair and use it”. Thus the camera came in as a gift.

The shutter leverage and the film advance ratchet were broken. I sent the camera to Mr.Yazdhani at Kamera Werke

in Calcutta. He made new spare parts in his shop and fixed the camera. I received it yesterday. Took this out for

test shots in Sunshine morning today. Used the same Domiplan lens that I got from the seller. I had repaired it

at home with a fixed aperture f/11. Had posted a thread earlier on this.

Here are some samples. All shot at 1/250 or 1/500 sec on Lucky 125 ASA film. Looks like they may have improved

the film, since my last batch. It seems to have a lot more latitude.

It is a bit difficult to get people into the picture in the suburban locations; central city people are indifferent; rural folk are cheerful and pose too. Here is a rubber stamp maker, promises to give you the impress within one hour! Despite the computerization and E-everything in vogue people seem to like the impress of a Rubber stamp and signature.<div>00Vcon-214929584.jpg.412a8a21fe3921bc05f77bfc0ab42d9a.jpg</div>

<p>It just gets better and better. congratulations.</p>

<p>I confess that I have not yet found out how to actually put a malfunctioning Domiplan aperture back into operation. I suspect that the best thing is just to fix it as you did.</p>

<p>You're right, SP, that film looks vastly better. They must have thrown another handful of silver into the mixing bowl...Great shots, as usual, and a fascinating pictorial. The Domiplan seems sharp; I have one which gives similiar images, and one which is greatly inferior. I've just received a quite nice Praktica PLC3, which takes the now-extinct 4.5v battery; while I can make up a substitute with a collection of 1.5v button cells, I'm wondering if there is a true replacement available anywhere?</p>

<p>S.P., your pictures all have the quality of what I imagine you weather to be like. That is, shimmering tropical heat and sun. I favor cool weather myself and live in the Pacific Northwest part of the US (although last summer it hit a record 104 degrees F. here and we are just not used to that!) Your repairman makes parts? Sounds like a resourceful fellow. You are lucky to have him available to work on your classics.</p>

Thank you JDM; this was a very satisfying experience. Thanks Stuart; the Lucky is not sold here, though the market is flooded with Chinese goods, hand tools, clocks, etc. I had to buy it from HongKong, a bit expensive. Richard, even if you read all the manuals of the Exaktas you may discover some thing new each time you use it. I have owned Exaktas for 40 years now. I am still growing with them! Thanks Rick, I use a regular AA Cell, alkaline , Ni-Cad or NiMh of 1.35 or 1.5 volts with my PLC2. It works okay even though the specs say “use 4.5volts”. Thanks John, Seattle was my home for long, most enjoyable, years! I studied and worked at UW. Loved the weather. Thanks Eric, I am glad that it was of interest.

<p>Well, who would have thought! Thanks <strong>S.P</strong> ., the AA cell works fine in the PLC3, and the readings are confirmed by my trusty Lunasix. Good old Prakticas; I can't imagine there being any other camera which was designed to operate on a 4.5v battery and is just as happy with a 1.5v substitute. No wonder I have an affection for them...</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Rick</strong> ! Really happy that it works; a lot of people did not believe me when I said that works regardless of voltage, within reasonable limits. Of course, one cannot hope to run it on the mains! Ah so! now we can hope to see some pictures from your PLC3 and the Pentacon lenses. That would be great; looking forward, regards, sp</p>