A forum called "Casual Photo Conversations"

parv

"Photo" in name of forum called "Casual Photo Conversations" is slowly losing meaning

by virtue of off-topic threads being created there ever since the "Off-Topic" forum was

closed.

Is there any official plan in near future to drop "Photo" from "Casual Photo

Conversations"? Failing that, is there any plan to proactively close the off-topic threads?

Failing that, is there any plan in near future to re-enable the "Off-Topic" forum?

<p>Offhand I can think of only one really off topic discussion on the casual photo conversations forum in the past several months, and that one just began yesterday - hobbies of other members. Are there other threads on that forum that began without any reference or at least casual link to photography? The handful I can think of that were completely off topic were closed or deleted.</p>

<p>I see a few recent and very stimulating discussions that range across a broad spectrum from photography to other arts, but always with a common philosophical or ideological narrative thread. But all began with, or have as a foundation, photography. I see nothing off topic about those, since the casual forum was intended to accommodate such diverse interests.</p>

<p>The "Off Topic" forum was closed for a reason and there's no inclination to let "Casual Photo Conversations" become a substitute for it.</p>

<p>If the site management wants an "Off Topic" forum, it will create one. Currently the "Casual Photo Conversations" forum is pretty much 99% focused on photography. I don't know what you are seeing that doesn't qualify other than one current tread about other hobbies. Everything else I see (and you see) is photo related, so I don't know what the real point of your question is other than maybe just to bring up the Off Topic forum again.</p>

<p>In the meantime, all posts to CPC should have some connection with photography, otherwise they will be subject to removal. In fact most such posts (and there are few) <em>are</em> removed (probably before you see them).</p>

<p>Don't read anything into my comments that are not there. I know of no plans to create or revive an Off Topic forum. All I'm saying is that <strong><em>if</em> </strong>the site management wanted an Off Topic forum, it would create one rather than allowing the Casual Photo Conversations forum to become one. The CPC forum is moderated and off topic threads are normally removed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Fred, very docile of you. I'm sure "the administration" is grateful."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Give it a rest, Anders. Fred merely provided a link to admin's explanation, in response to Jim's question. Snide asides and cheap shots at other members who had nothing to do with the decision to close the OT forum won't strengthen your case for reopening some type of OT forum. Quite the opposite.</p>

<p>Lex, I'll "give it a rest" although I have no illusions on my influence on decisions of the administration. I'm just a fairly active and mostly happy and satisfied user of photonet since some years. I have largely profited from it and hopefully also contributed to its successes. In ten days time I'll blow my nine candles. You are of course invited to the event :)) </p>

Yes, it is entirely likely that off topic threads at other times are properly taken care of.

If there won't be a name change of C (p) C, then would a change in its description be considered that would make allowance for off topic threads?

Yes, one of the off-topic threads is about the hobbies besides photography, http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00cJA. That thread still exists and a new response is allowed as of Jan 20 2014 12.25A -1000.

The first off-topic thread that I remember, posted in C (p) C due to lack of an off-topic forum, was about a computer problem that had nothing to do with photography in any way. I replied that that should have been posted elsewhere, even though relation between the query & the other forum was tenuous enough to break just by reading closely. I suggested another forum simply because I do not visit that forum often and that forum had, & has, lower traffic (than of C (p) C). That thread should have been deleted/closed, but was not, not withstanding the fact that OP did get relevant response(s) to solve his/her issue(s).

The other off-topic thread in recent memory was about the Off-Topic forum, http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00cAjo. That thread should have been moved here, Photo.net Site Help, long ago but has not. I posted not so indirect hint; did not actually request the move to make a point about off topic threads not being moved (sometimes?).