85f1.8 for landscapes

Mike_R1664876643

<p>Is this lens used that much for landscape photography, or mostly for people shots? I currently shoot with a D300s, mainly with my 16-85DX. I shoot nearly 100% landscapes. With the rebates, i've debated whether to pick up this lens for the sharpness, and if I moved to a D800 someday I could couple it with a wide-angle zoom and my 50 1.8D. I've also debated whether to get a 24-120VR right now with the rebates, but realize until I go FX it wouldn't be that useful. I'm not sure whether saving $300 now for a lens for a camera I don't yet have is such a good idea.</p>

<p>How stopped-down are your 85mm shots with the 16-85? If you're shooting at, say, f/8 ... you likely won't notice enough difference between that and the 85mm prime to make it worth doing. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure whether saving $300 now for a lens for a camera I don't yet have is such a good idea.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your very reasonable doubt about whether that makes sense is ... very reasonable!</p>

<p>How you chose to use a lens is up to you. If you find yourself at the 85mm end of your zoom all the time then maybe consider the 85mm prime or something a bit longer, or perhaps a telephoto zoom that starts in that range.</p>

<p>Absolutely no point introducing the 24-120 to your system at this point...or maybe any point.</p>

Mike, I went to FX two years ago with a D3s and then last summer with the D800e. I still have a number of Dx lenses used with my

remaining D2X including the 16-85 that is far and away my favorite Dx lens and was my first VR lens. I just ordered the 85mm 1.8 G to

take advantage of the $100 Nikon rebate. It is one of Nikon sharpest lenses and the D version is not too far off. I do plan go use it for

landscapes and have expanded my photography to include dogs and people, Dogs>>>>People, well actually poodles which are

technically dogs:) and really enjoy shooting these subjects wide open to isolate the subject. I am sure stopped down either the D or G

version Nikor lens is very good for landscapes and will support your landscape photography on the D300s as well as a future high MP

Nikon. I have gone to shooting primes from 20-50 mm on my d800e and this will be my first faster that 2.8 non macro short telephoto

lens. I think it's good to always look ahead though respectfully and humbly unlike my professional colleagues I have the luxury of not

having to justify the cost of a new lens or camera since I shoot for fun. I think that telephoto lenses are very useful for landscapes to

remove clutter and distractions and have used them to that end for a while now including the Dx format. Good hunting. Andy

<p>The 24-120 wouldn't bring anything to your current kit. And if you do end up with a D800, you might not like the 24-120 on it. It's not the sharpest option, and if you get a 36MP camera to shoot landscapes you might decide to go with something with more corner-to-corner sharpness.</p>

<p>Thanks much for all your input, and this has helped me decide, especially to not buy the 24-120VR right now. But I think I will go ahead and order the 85 1.8G. Then if I ever do go FX, I'll likely use an ultra wide zoom to cover up to 35mm, and then the 50mm and 85mm for anything longer focal lengths. And if I end up not gettting that much use out of it, I'm sure I'll be able to sell it for around what I paid.</p>

<p>Hi Mike,<br>

I asked a question a day or two back about the Nikon 85 f1.8 also and after getting several answers I too ordered it. I will be using it with my D600 and am getting excited about it. At B&H they are backordered but I doubt that it will be too long for them to get in stock. I think the rebate ends last day of March so jump on it.<br>

Good luck with your copy and have fun grabbing images.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>I also was looking into the 85mm lens but opted for the 50mm for reasons that suited me better. at $500 ($400 this past month) I couldn't justify the purchase for what I like to shoot. I like doing portrait shots, but I found myself when using the 16-85mm, shooting more half-body portrait shots than head-shots. The 85mm can be used for any type of portrait shooting, but the 50mm can also do many different portrait shots. and the price difference being $280, I went with the nifty.</p>

<p>I ordered that lens on March 6th and it hasn't shipped yet, so I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait; at least after all the lag time to think about it, it's still on order, so I guess I decided it's worth it. Hope you'll have quicker results!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I ordered that lens on March 6th and it hasn't shipped yet, so I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I got it in two days from Amazon last week. I find myself going to Amazon more and more, since they sometimes have the best price. When B&H is out of stock on an item, Amazon often has it in stock. Has anyone had any problems dealing with them? I ask that because I never once had a problem with B&H.</p>

<p>In addition, on this item, Amazon was offering it at $100 lower than B&H's back-ordered price. Of course, B&H has been closed for the holidays and might not have made adjustments as the market fluctuated. I really don't know. I almost feel like I am betraying a trusted friend when I do NOT order with B&H, although I know how ridiculous that sounds.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I would of cancelled my order within a few days if it didn't ship. of course I would allow weekends to pass. 3 business days. If I saw on their site that it was in stock and nothing is being shipped....cancel that order and order it somewhere else. to wait since March 6th....that's a little to much time to let go by. what I usually do is go to best buy or samy's and just price match to online. best buy has a great price match policy now. they will match B&H. I've done it before. the wait time is 2 minutes instead of 3 weeks and it hasn't even been shipped out yet. a week ago when I was just browsing lenses, they had an 85mm in stock. easiest way to get one is your local brick and mortar</p>

<p>you're a very patient person, Joesph. and I envy that. I would not be able to wait as long as you have. lol</p>

<p>Hmm, you must be blessed. I just looked at Amazon and it said the lens usually ships within 1-2 months.<br>

Best Buy said the lens is not available for shipping and was unavailable at any store within 100 mile radius.<br>

Calumet-lens not available, unknown when.<br>

I ordered it from Adorama, it was out of stock when I ordered it, but so was the D7000 I bought two years ago and it shipped within a couple of weeks. They offered a 2% reward on the lens, which sounds like chicken feed, except that I've gotten several items so far and it does add up. Last but not least, the rebates have gone away, and I'm assuming they'll honor the price that it was with the rebate (the order still reflects the discount price).<br>

So, good for you, Landrum, if you got it in two days (as I said, some are blessed) and good luck to you, Mike, if you order it. I can't see trying to get it elsewhere at this point, I've got a couple of other lenses to use. ;)<br>

I have slow-evolving NAS.</p>

<p>I ended up not ordering the 85mm last night. My thoughts are that if I buy a D800, I would be better off spending my money on the 16-35VR since I mainly shoot landscapes. I started thinking it would be one of those lenses I would buy and not use it enough to justify keeping it in my camera bag. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post and provided me with input. I really appreciate it.</p>