828 film and spools

Hi -

From what I have been reading it seems that 828 film seem to be the same width

as the regular 35mm film, so the question I have, is it possible to roll

regular 35mm film onto a 828 spool?

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks

Portra 160NC is pretty readily available in 100' spools of 35mm unperforated, one of the sizes used in school portrait cameras. Cheap on eBay short-dated.

For B&W, some folks slit down 120 film.

35mm perforated film will fit, but you will have sprockets in part of the image. Also, it's a lot thicker than normal roll film, so it may be a tight fit on the tiny spools.

Don't know whay I didn't try respooling like this before! To date, I've been removing entire strips of 35mm from their canisters and dark-bag loading them into my Bantam 4.5. With a square mask over the film plane (and careful attantion to the amount of winding between each frame), I'm able to get up to 40 very nice images on a 36-exposure roll (great lens). Did find, though, that the metal spring strips in the film compartments scratched the emulsion...so I also covered their edges with black electrical tape.

But winding the 35mm stock with new backing paper onto 828 spools is certainly worth a try!

"Dave Powell , jun 16, 2006; 10:13 a.m.

Don't know whay I didn't try respooling like this before! To date, I've been removing entire strips of 35mm from their canisters and dark-bag loading them into my Bantam 4.5. With a square mask over the film plane (and careful attantion to the amount of winding between each frame), I'm able to get up to 40 very nice images on a 36-exposure roll (great lens). Did find, though, that the metal spring strips in the film compartments scratched the emulsion...so I also covered their edges with black electrical tape."

Why the Square mask? I had thought about taping over the green window on my Flash Bantam and Dark loading as you tried, then using the little sensing pawl to count perforations.

Tedious but workable.

Hi Lili,

Oh...just for the heck of it!

Thanks for also mentioning the green window tape-over...I had to do that too. But when I tried using the sensing pawl to count perforations, I found that it did not always catch on each hole. But maybe I should revisit that...it would certainly be more accurate than counting quarter turns of the winding knob. (Fortunately, I'm a very patient fellow...a virtue when tinkering with old cameras!)

Dave

I ran a half dozen rolls of 135 (Standard 35mm) film through my Kodak Bantam f4.5 befor the bellow completely disintigrated. I hit upon a wonderful method. First I covered the yellow or red plastic film viewport with electrical tape from the inside so backing paper would not be needed. Then I used scotch tape and taped a 4-inch long, 36mm wide piece of paper to the 828 spools. I would use this to "trap" the film leader coming out of a standard 135 film cartridge. THen in a changing bag I'd wind the film onto the 828 spool. I'd then do the same to the take up spool and close the back of the camera.

I also puchased some of those re-usable 135 cannisters and used the same paper-leader catch system to roll the exposed ilm into the 135 canister in a film changing bag. I then make sure to label the ISO and tell the film lab people what it is and almost any 1-hour lab can do it. HEre's a sample.<div>00GzxF-30682184.jpg.8f079c61dc0037855a3ecd859be249ca.jpg</div>