7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 Mark II

I haven't found much info on this lens beyond basics, nor reviews, but it is different from the original.

Found this comparison:

7Artisans 35mm F1.2 II for Sony E mount test/review on Sony Alpha Blog

Appears the mark 2 has better coatings, closer focussing and a clicky aperture, optically looks to be more a matter of taste and sample variation?

How hard are these lenses to focus on a mirrorless camera especially when stopped down?

The focus ring feels good to my hands, neither stiff nor loose. Focus assist on my camera pops in quickly with this lens. I don't have any experience with other mirrorless cameras or lenses, but have used a dozen film lenses on the camera. In comparison, the J8 used here has less damping on the focus ring and the focus assist kinda creeps in to peak focus. I use the evf vf rather than the lcd. Otherwise, ease of focus depends on the cameras focus assist design.

• Like 1

Interesting, so they are optically different.

I hadn't thought to look on 7artisans own website...

I might actually be tempted to get the mk2 now, closer focus and an aperture ring with stops had me interested, different formula means it's a different lens, also interesting...

I was intending to buy both, but came across a nice J3 and decided to go with that instead.

• Like 1

How hard are these lenses to focus on a mirrorless camera especially when stopped down?

My mk1 is nice and smooth, no harder to focus than any vintage lens, 'pops' well enough on the EVF to not really need peaking (which is often a little off).

Works particularly well with the 'electronic rangefinder' option on X-trans 2 and later sensors, I've shot lots of candids in dimly lit bars with my X-T10. An ICU nurse was able to get 3/3 perfectly focussed photos of me holding my son at f1.2, ISO 2000 ~1/40 sec.

So, all in all, I'd say it works well on mirrorless cameras. The EVF will gain-up as you stop down, so it remains bright, peaking shows a swathe of highlighting across the focus zone. I've successfully focussed my Konica 50mm f1.4 on a Fuji digital in 'can't see my hand in front of my face' conditions, the EVF lags and becomes grainy, but nothing beats being able to see in the dark.

So you always see a bright image no mater the F stop? Can the viewfinder be set to show the photo as it will appear as shot?

Yes and yes, though I imagine it depends on the mirrorless system in question. I have the setting mapped to a function button on my Fujis, as it's something I toggle fairly often - mostly I want the image 'as shot', but studio flash, I want 'max brightness'. In any auto mode, it's 'as shot', naturally.

• Like 1

Sanford, my comments refer to manual focus lenses. I don't have an af lens for the Fuji. The lens, the subject of this thread, has an manual aperture ring (no 'A' setting). Through the evf, it is similar to an slr ttl view stopped down, and the peak focus assist is sort of a rangefinderish overlay.
  • Like 1